This small town on the banks of the Nam Song River in Vientiane Province, around four hours from the capital, used to be known as a rowdy backpacker party town. In recent years, however, it’s been transformed into an adventure hub with a focus on eco-tourism, with tube rides down the river, rafting, zip-lining, rock climbing and caving. Planning an adrenaline-fuelled trip to this Laotian town? Read on to discover our pick of the best hotels in Vang Vieng, from affordable eco-lodges for backpackers and families to boutique spa retreats for couples in search of romance.
Looking for a family-friendly hotel in Vang Vieng? Amari is a contemporary resort just a few-minutes drive from some of the area’s best attractions, such as the Kaeng Nyui Waterfall, the Blue Lagoons, and Tham Chang Cave. The rooms range from standard doubles to a spacious one-bedroom executive suite with river view and balcony. There’s also a colourful Kids Club, which organises adventures for little ones and gives parents time to unwind around the pool or over a meal at Essence Restaurant, which serves Lao, Thai and international dishes. Take the opportunity to squeeze in a workout at the fully equipped gym.
This luxury riverside resort has just 34 rooms — all with large balconies — surrounding an inviting swimming pool and boasting views of the surrounding forest and limestone mountains. The rooms are ideal for couples, with romantic interior design that references the traditions of eight of the country’s ethnic groups through art and crafted objects by local artisans. Further immerse yourself in Lao culture at the Riverside Sala Spa, which offers treatments utilising local medicinal herbs. The signature treatment is the Hot Herbal Lao Therapy, in which warm pouches filled with aromatic plants are used to massage the body.
If you’re after luxury at an affordable price, check out this boutique hotel in the heart of Vang Vieng. There are 38 rooms, each with a private balcony and views over the surrounding mountains and the Nam Song River. The on-site restaurant, Khop Chai Deu Vang Vieng, serves dishes crafted from fresh, local ingredients—think laab (chopped meat salad), or Lao-style spicy seafood spaghetti, alongside international comfort food, including burgers and pasta —and guests receive a 10 percent discount off any food ordered from the à la carte menu.
Located on a quiet pedestrian street in the heart of Vang Vieng, this elegant hotel features large rooms and suites, many with generously furnished terraces and balconies. There’s plenty to do at the hotel, with a 24-hour rooftop swimming pool alongside the Vang Vieng Lounge, which serves fresh fruits, Vietnamese coffee and a grill-focused menu. Or, head to the hotel restaurant, which specialises in Vietnamese cuisine, including authentic pho and bún bowls. If you want to get out and explore, the reception can help to arrange tours and transfers.
Enjoy luxurious service and amenities at the largest five-star resort in Vang Vieng. There are 108 air-conditioned rooms and suites with interior design inspired by local culture, a large swimming pool with a pool bar, a fitness centre and a tranquil spa. The hotel is located near several popular attractions, including Tham Chang, which is the closest cave to the town centre and is named after the natural formation of the cave, which resembles an elephant. It’s also just a few steps to the buzzing downtown area with all its restaurants and bars.
If you’re looking for a romantic experience in Vang Vieng, book one of these three-star traditional villas set in a peaceful location amid rice fields. While it feels a world away from Vang Vieng’s busy streets, it’s still within easy walking distance to the town centre and the Nam Song River. Each cosy villa is built in a traditional style and features elegant timber furnishings, an ensuite bathroom, television and refrigerator. The villas are connected via charming timber walkways above the rice paddies, and there’s also an on-site restaurant.
Want to pitch a tent in Vang Vieng? This affordable eco lodge is ideal for backpackers and other travellers on a budget. It features a campground and tents alongside several other simple accommodation options, including family rooms that can sleep up to five and bungalows with bathtubs in which to unwind. The complex is located in lush gardens that guests can explore, and the on-site restaurant serves authentic Thai and Lao dishes. If you want to discover the surrounding area, it’s an easy one-minute walk to the Nam Song River, and a 15-minute drive to Vang Vieng’s town centre.
If you want to discover Vang Vieng as well as the surrounding attractions, this four-star hotel is ideally located. It’s just 1km (0.6mi) from all the restaurants and bars of the town centre, and within easy reach of must-see attractions, including Tham Chang Cave. The comfortable air-conditioned rooms range from standard double, twins and triples, to spacious family bungalows. There’s also an outdoor pool and bar. Looking for a spot to eat? Pick up delicious baked treats and baguette sandwiches at the nearby Luang Prabang Bakery.
For more hotel options in Laos, check out our guide to the best hotels in Laos for every traveller, or the best hotels in Luang Prabang, all bookable on Culture Trip. For plush places to stay, check out our pick of the best luxury hotels and resorts in Vang Vieng, Laos, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.