A major commercial and cultural hub in Kazakhstan, Almaty charms its guests with green alleyways, lovely local parks and an interesting mixture of Tsarist buildings and Soviet architecture. The city’s eclectic dining scene offers the best of traditional and regional cuisine in sophisticated settings, from cozy Russian-style cafes to luxury dining establishments. We profile ten of our favorite local restaurants in Almaty.
The restaurant Gosti is an absolute delight for anyone interested in the history of Russian culture. Decorated in the bohemian style of a Russian noble mansion of the early 20th century, the restaurant specializes in high-quality modern Russian cuisine. Whilst drinking black tea, brewed in a samovar, a traditional metal teapot, the guests can look around and admire a wide array of decorative items and curiosities, from rusty coal irons to second-hand ice skates. With its unique, otherworldly atmosphere, Gosti is a must-visit spot on Almaty’s culinary trail.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Gosti, 78 Kunayeva Street, Almaty, Kazakhstan, +7 727 293 8414
The ultra-modern and sophisticated El Mirador is a recent newcomer to Almaty’s dining scene. Located in the busy city center, the bar and restaurant showcase modern international cuisine with an occasional Central Asian twist, such as fresh salad with horse meat fried in ginger. Horse meat, although an acquired taste, is lean and delicious, and no carnivorous visitor to Kazakhstan should leave without trying this local delicacy. Spread across two floors and with a lovely terrace open in summer, El Mirador offers a wide selection of seafood (a rarity in Almaty considering the distance to the closest open waters), pasta and vegetarian dishes, as well as variety of grilled meats, including Argentinean specialties.
El Mirador, 168/2 Dostyk Avenue, Almaty, Kazakhstan, +7 727 264 14 45
No guide to Almaty’s dining scene would be complete without Chukotka, a cool and low-key restaurant/bar/coffeehouse frequented by the city’s hip crowd. Offering a lively schedule of music events, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, this is the place where Almaty’s up and coming bands perform live. The first floor of Chukotka features a modern dining area, serving a mixture of Central Asian, Russian and European dishes, and a bar with a dancing area, which comes alive every weekend. The second floor, named dacha, which translates to ‘summer house’, serves both as a coffeehouse during the week and a bar on the weekend. Located inside the beautiful Panfilovtsev park, Chukotka has become a staple of Almaty’s social life.
Chukotka, 40 Gogol Street, Almaty, Kazakhstan, +7 727 273 39 74
Located in the heart of old Almaty, the Cafeteria is an artsy and charming coffeehouse and deli, perfect for a lazy brunch or a midday coffee break. The coffeehouse has kept the original façade of the building, and the thoughtfully renovated molding and parquet flooring, as well as hand-woven carpets and old-fashioned chairs, instantly bring a cozy and laid-back feel to the venue. In the summer season, the Cafeteria opens its gorgeous terrace, which overlooks the lush greenery of a local park. This is a great hangout spot for the young and the creative as Cafeteria often organizes various social events, from speed-dating to personal coaching sessions. The European menu features a good selection of quick bites, fresh pastries and delicious desserts, but it’s the atmosphere that really makes this venue stand out.
32 Baisetova street, Almaty, Kazakhstan, +7 727 272 09 26
The Traktir Medved, which translates to ‘Bear Tavern’, is a charming restaurant decorated in the rustic style of a Russian farmhouse, with traditional Russian ornaments and bright wooden paneling on the walls and ceilings. The restaurant offers high-quality traditional Russian and Ukrainian food, starting with a hefty main course of dressed herring, made of layers of salted herring, boiled beetroot, eggs and mayonnaise, and ending with the sweet dessert of bliny, a thin pancake usually filled with cottage cheese, jam or honey. Other must-try options at this traditional venue include borshch, a traditional Ukrainian beetroot soup, and pelmeni, Russian dumplings filled with minced meat, fish or mushrooms.
Traktir Medved, 140 Kanbai Batira Street, Almaty, Kazakhstan, +7 727 267 51 30
One of the most original dining spots in Almaty, Wagon is all dressed up like a wooden train carriage, including a model of an old-fashioned steam engine locomotive, a train carriage at the entrance and the sound of wheels turning played in-between songs. The delightful décor is matched by the venue’s contemporary fusion of Central Asian, European and Russian cuisines. The affable chef, known as Uncle Zhena, is widely praised for his creative and authentic menu, featuring delicious Italian desserts and hearty Russian main courses. Located in the suburbs of Almaty, the restaurant is very popular among locals due its impeccable service, delicious food and cozy interior.
Wagon, 241 Bogenbai Batyr street, Almaty, Kazakhstan, +7 727 333 44 47
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.