Thanks to its dense population and propensity to turn admiration into full-blown obsessed fandom, many areas of Tokyo are compartmentalised into tiny sub-cultural hubs. From fashion, to food, and of course music, Tokyo houses many different mini worlds. No matter your taste there’s something for everyone, you just need to know where to look.
One of the more well known entertainment hubs of Tokyo, Roppongi gets a little bit of a reputation for being shady thanks to its party loving inhabitants. Though really only shady by Japanese standards, for a party hub in a mega-city it’s still pretty safe for the casual visitor.
Given its diverse population, Tokyo’s party capital has a night-time establishment for every taste, but it’s EDM that Roppongi does best. Clubs V2 Tokyo and Muse are the crown jewels of the area’s EDM scene. Sprinkled with LED lights, gold embellishments and hosting some of the hottest DJs in the world, these two mega-clubs are the best place to go to be VIP for a night.
Muse – B1F, 4-1-1 Nishi-Azabu Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan, +81 3 5467 1188
If you have any knowledge about Japan, odds are you’ll associate the name Akihabara with ‘otaku’ nerd culture. Known once as the technology hub of the world, Akihabara may fallen behind a little tech-wise, but when it comes to nerdy fandom culture it’s still number one. The biggest all girl J-Pop band (literally and figuratively) AKB48 are actually named after the area. Here you can visit the AKB48-themed café located near the major station, or if you’re lucky enough catch one of their nightly shows hosted in their own theatre here in Akihabara.
If you love house and techno, visit Shibuya
When it comes to sound systems and interior design, there’s no debate that Tokyo is home to some of the best clubs in world, so it’s really a no-brainer that the city attracts the world’s best and most serious DJs and producers. There’s no better place to enjoy the city’s dance music scene than in the heart of Tokyo, Shibuya. Featuring a high density of nightclubs, Shibuya does house, techno and dance music best. If you’re an audiophile with a propensity for late night partying check out venues Vision and Contact to fulfil all your musical desires.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Vision – Shibuya-ku, Tokyo Dogenzaka 2-10-7, Tokyo, Japan, +81 3 5728 2824
Contact – Shin-Osaka Building No. 4 Building, 2-10-12 Dogenzaka, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan, +81 3 6427 8107
For traditional Japanese music, travel to Asakusa
What draws floods of tourists to this suburb daily is its ability to encapsulate Tokyo’s traditional past. Though in previous decades the temple-dominated area was considered the city’s entertainment hub, that title has been passed on to the more youth oriented centres of Shibuya and Shinjuku. However, if you want to step back in time and experience Japan’s folk musical history via live tsugaru-shamisen performances often hosted in traditional izakayas, you can’t miss Asakusa.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.