There are many kinds of gamers – those who play at home, those who practically live in “game centers” (aka arcades), and then there are the people who like to socialize as they button smash, drink in hand. To accommodate the latter is the video game bar, a growing nightlife trend in Japan. Whether your skills are on par with the professionals, or you’re just looking to make a night out a bit more interesting, check out these game bars in Osaka.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
PC and Retro Bar Space Station
Space Station is a staple of this niche Osaka bar scene. It’s packed with both locals and tourists almost every night of the week, so it’s a great place to meet like-minded people from all over the world. Space has 13 consoles, 8 screens, and scores of games ranging from nostalgic NES favorites to the most recent Super Smash Brothers. Space Station is the only game bar in town that doesn’t have a cover charge; you only pay for your drinks, many of which are named after video game characters you love, like the “Floating Peach” and “Gin Sonic.” To find it, just look for the flashing, animated LED staircase at street level, and climb on up!
Game Bar Continue
Continue was the first game bar to open in Osaka. Since then, they’ve leveled up, recently moving to a new location. Continue has countless games, over 40 systems (however, some are for display only), and 13 screens, including a projector. The walls are covered in video game cartridges and memorabilia; taking in the décor could honestly provide enough entertainment for the night. They also have board games and occasionally host DJ events. There is a 500 yen (US$4.70) cover to get in, but after that, you just pay for whatever you order.
Game Bar GeeBee
GeeBee is relatively new to the scene, but it’s clear they did their research before opening up shop. GeeBee has a diverse mix of retro and modern games and is set up almost like an arcade. It costs 500 yen (US$4.70) per hour to hang in GeeBee, but that price includes all the games you can play, soft drinks you can down, and curry you can eat! Any alcoholic beverage is only 390 yen (US$3.65) on top of that. GeeBee is one of the few video game bars open during the day, so if wielding a controller while wasted isn’t your thing (or day drinking is), you can drop by anytime after 1pm!
Game Bar Tsuukon no Ichigeki
Tsuukon no Ichigeki means “critical hit” in Japanese. This bar has a few small screens and one big one to play games on, as well as a number of board games. The interior is fun and funky, with game choices displayed neatly on the walls and pop art themed decor. Also on display are the patrons’ top scores in certain games. Critical Hit has nomihoudai (aka “all you can drink”) plans for guests lasting up to five hours. This is the only bar on the list that has a Ladies’ Night – women get to drink for half price every Wednesday.
Famicom Bar Dendo
Dendo is located in the Misono Building, a place that was once one of the most happening spots in town. While its neon splendor may have somewhat dwindled over the years, it’s still home to some of the most well-known and interesting nightlife spots in Osaka. Despite its small size, Dendo also has a large variety of games, five screens to play them on, and even room to spare for a guest DJ from time to time. This was the second game bar to open in Osaka, which is clear by the community of both regulars and first-timers this spot continues to attract.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.