As a city that never sleeps and the kaleidoscopic capital of Japan, Tokyo’s energy is electrifying during both the day and night. A magnificent mixture of temples, anime shops and towering skyscrapers, the city is home to plenty of cocktail spots too. These establishments offer creative and colorful concoctions for visitors to enjoy under the bright lights. So whether you’re seeking a minty mojito or a tangy martini, here’s the best cocktail joints in Tokyo to visit when the sun goes down and the neons light up.
Stepping inside Kamiya Bar is like stepping back in time to a soviet-era establishment. The furnishings here are simple and plain, the tables are designed in blocks and are paired with comfy black seating, and the exterior mirrors the tall, unadorned buildings typical of Russia. This is the best spot in the city to try a unique liquor made on the premises called denki bran, an extremely potent concoction consisting mainly of a herby brandy. This place attracts a mixed crowd of both travellers and locals looking to try the authentic Japanese beverage.
Address and Telephone: 1-1-1 Asakusa, Taito, Tokyo 111-0032, Japan, +81 3 3841 5400
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located on 28th floor of hotel Conrad Tokyo, Twenty Eightoffers excellent service and brilliant views over Tokyo Bay. A warm and welcoming spot, a huge rustic fireplace and comfortable seats set the scene for a relaxing drink in a homely setting here. Whisky and wine options abound, and if you’re seeking something non-alcoholic, there is a very impressive collection of teas here which includes aromatic flavors such as chai and cinnamon. Their signature cocktail, the Tei-en, is a perfect mixture of vodka, cucumber, shiso, kiwi and cardamom seeds, and is definitely worth trying.
Address and Telephone: 1 Chome-9-1 Higashishinbashi, Minato, Tokyo 105-7377, Japan, +81 3 6388 8000
Ishino Hana Bar
Hidden away in a small office building, Ishino Hana Bar is a little bit hard to find, but is truly a hidden gem in Tokyo. A spot which takes its cocktails seriously, expert bartenders using first-class ingredients and the latest mixing equipment rustle up some delightful concoctions. Don’t miss the green tea option made with fresh tea leaves, vodka, lime and soda water. The interior is narrow and dimly lit, creating a romantic setting for an intimate evening of drinks and conversation.
Address and Telephone: B1, 3-6-2 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, +81 3 5485 8405
Ben Fiddich is another cozy and exclusive joint which can accommodate about 15 people at a time. Candles light up the room here and create a warm, dreamlike setting in which to enjoy a variety of wines, beers and cocktails. The staff here are charmingly dressed in smart suits, and the jars of spices and fruit which line the walls here are alluring and aromatic. Try to secure a prime seat at the bar where you can watch the owner, Hiroyasu, work his cocktail magic.
Address and Telephone: 1-13-7 Nishishinjuku | 9F Yamatoya Bldg., Shinjuku160-0023, Tokyo, +81 3 6279 4223
Sky Lounge Stellar Garden
One of Tokyo’s glittering sky-high hotel bars, Sky Lounge Stellar Garden is situated high enough to offer panoramic views, but low enough to keep customers within the buzz of the city below. The Tokyo Tower cocktail is a must try as well as the yuzu martini, and there is also a wide selection of ice-cold beer and high-quality Japanese whiskey available. And if you’re feeling peckish there is a full snack menu available offering an array of delightful Asian delicacies.
Address and Telephone: 4-8-1 Shibakoen, Minato, Tokyo 105-8563, Japan, +81 3 5400 1154
This bar is operated by well-dressed bartenders in suspenders and bow ties, and is a place which, instead of offering a drinks list, encourages customers to order absolutely any kind of cocktail they feel like. The bar is sophisticated and features sleek and chic tables and walls, and there is tasteful neon lighting found dotted about the establishment. If you can’t quite think of what drink you would like, some of the house specials include the Manhattan cocktail and the Japanese grape and brandy blend.
Address and Telephone: 1-5-13 Ginza, Chuo, Tokyo 104-0061, Japan, +81 3 3535 8005
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.