The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter (Taketori Monogatari) was written in Japan during the Heian Period in the tenth century. It tells the story of Princess Kaguya (Kaguya-hime). The princess was first discovered by a bamboo cutter, who split open a stalk one day to find her asleep inside. The story is a famous one, and has been brought into modern popular culture through television, books and even a musical performance.
One day while working in the story, an old bamboo cutter splits open a shining stalk of bamboo to find a baby girl inside. Having no children of his own, the old man is excited and takes her home to raise her with his wife. They name her Kaguya-hime. Kaguya seems to possess magical powers, and she brings the family good fortune in the form of wealth. Soon she grows into a beautiful woman, and five princes and even the Japanese Emperor himself come banging down the old bamboo cutter’s door to ask for her hand in marriage. But Kaguya fends them off.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
She begins to spend a lot of time looking at the moon, longingly. The family soon realizes that Kaguya is not of this world, and that she must someday return. She writes letters of farewell to her friends and family and leaves with the celestial entourage who come to collect her. The Emperor, distraught, hurries to the mountain to burn a letter to his lost love. The smoke from his letter explained the smoke rising from Mount Fuji, which was an active volcano at the time the tale was written.
While not classified as such, the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter shares many similarities with fairy tales. For example, it’s common in fairy tales to name characters simply after their role in the story, like Grandmother or the Handsome Prince. In The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, the old man’s name means Old Man Who Harvests Bamboo, while Kaguya’s full name means Princess of Flexible Bamboo Scattering Light, because she was discovered inside a shining bamboo stalk. The use of celestial or supernatural beings, handsome princes vying for marriage and the magical Elixir of Life are all elements similar to fairy tales as we know them.
The prose in “The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter” is poetic and evocative, transporting readers to a world where legends and reality intertwine seamlessly. It invites us to contemplate the meaning of existence, the fleeting nature of beauty, and the power of love and sacrifice. Every page is filled with a sense of wonder and mystery, leaving readers mesmerized by its timeless charm.
The enduring appeal of “The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter” lies in its ability to resonate with readers across generations and cultures. Its messages about the fleeting nature of life and the importance of cherishing the present moment are universal, reminding us of the ephemeral beauty that surrounds us every day.
Princess Kaguya’s story has appealed to audiences for centuries. Studio Ghibli, an internationally-acclaimed production studio, released The Tale of the Princess Kaguya in 2013. The movie is based on The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter and was nominated for Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. One of the InuYasha series of movies was also based on the tale. In 2002’s The Castle Beyond the Looking Glass, an evil she-demon devours Kaguya as she is ascending to the moon. InuYasha and his friends must then defeat her to bring peace back to the mortal realm. Other well-known adaptations include the character of Kaguya from Capcom’s Okami video game and the manga-anime series Naruto.
In conclusion, “The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter” is a mesmerizing journey that sweeps readers away to a world of enchantment and reflection. Its elegant prose, captivating characters, and profound themes make it a true gem of Japanese literature. Whether you are a fan of folklore, a lover of Japanese culture, or simply someone seeking a profound and moving story, this timeless tale will leave an indelible mark on your heart.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.