Food, transport and fashion are three things that Japan arguably does best, with Tokyo today’s trendsetting capital. Trailblazing designers like Rei Kawakubo, Issey Miyake, and Yohji Yamamoto have paved the way for many local labels to follow suit. Here are the top names pushing the boundaries of streetwear today.
Casual streetwear fans will have come across the name Sk8thing, whether intentionally or not. Having worked with names like BAPE, the Pharrell label Billionaire Boys Club and Undercover, the Japanese fashion icon is responsible for some of the biggest cross-cultural breakthroughs in the fashion world. But it’s Cav Empt, his label collaboration with British designer Toby Feltwell, that is really the crown jewel in his streetwear empire. Featuring bold graphics and easy to wear, cozy apparel Cav Empt is a ‘must own’ name for any streetwise fashion lover.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Have a Good Time
It’s their laid back, fun-loving attitude that makes Have a Good Time one of the most sought after labels on the local streetwear market. Formed from a collective of graffiti artists, the Have a Good Time crew release hoodies, pullovers, beanies, tote bags and of course t-shirts emblazoned with the bold and instantly recognizable Have a Good Time graphic. If you’re around the trendy inner Tokyo suburb of Nakameguro, you can check out their store too, stocked with books, toys, and enough skate apparel to keep you looking fresh for years.
Have a Good Time store – 1 Chome-4-18 Nakameguro, Meguro, Tokyo, Japan
Though still relatively new in the sneaker game, Flower Mountain is one label worth keeping an eye on. A collaborative effort between Chinese footwear icon Yang Chao and Japanese designer Keosuke Ota, their shoe designs focus heavily on simple silhouettes featuring print-heavy designs. Drawing influence from natural surroundings, they’ve released a string of unisex sneakers that are the perfect understated statement shoe for the warmer months.
This shoe label gives sneaker geeks the opportunity to delve into a world deeper than the major brand names. The brainchild of Tokyo-based designer Ryo Kashiwazaki, Hender Scheme produces more than just sneakers – it’s their artisanal leather crafted tributes to iconic sneakers like the Reebok InstaPump Fury, Timberlands, and Jordans and Air Force 1s that have made them major players in the streetwear game.
Founded in 1990 by designer Jun Takahashi, UNDERCOVER has set a pretty high precedent for streetwear in Japan. Known for combining elements of streetwear and high-end fashion with a punk-influenced direction, the label was founded on the idea of pushing social, cultural and artistic boundaries: their motto is “we make noise, not clothes”. Wanting a slice of the avant-garde action, major labels like Nike and Uniqlo have sought out Takahashi’s talent for collaborations in recent years.
Founded in 1999 by Chitose Abe, Sacai has become local fashion cult hero both here in Japan and across the world. After cutting her teeth as a pattern-maker for the iconic Comme des Garçons label, Abe created Sacai as a way to challenge and reinvent the way in which women’s clothing was created. The label produces clothing that balances a powerful female aesthetic without being overly masculine. Focusing on texture, many of Abe’s creations juxtapose contrasting fabrics to produce new experimental creations.
Created by Tetsu Nishiyama, what WTAPS does best is its ability to reinvent streetwear staples without straying too far from the original. Think consistent design, premium cotton and easy to wear, super clean apparel and you’ve got WTAPS. Not shy to collaborate, Nishiyama has worked with BAPE founder and fellow Japanese street wear icon NIGO.
The creation of designer Junichi Abe, Tokyo-based label Kolor has made waves both here in Japan and internationally since its birth in 2004. What’s so exciting about Kolor’s design ideology is the label’s focus on mixing the classic everyday with the slightly offbeat. Whether it’s through a slightly asymmetrical silhouette, eye-catching colour scheme, or new texture, Kolor produce the perfect statement wear for those not trying to be too outlandish – so very Tokyo.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.