For nature lovers and skiers, these are the best hotels in the famous ski resort town of Niseko, Hokkaido.
Located just a stone’s throw from Hokkaido’s capital city of Sapporo, and known the world over for its mountain range and ski resorts, Niseko is a nature-lover’s dream. While the town itself is small, the area also includes the Mt Fuji of Hokkaido, Mt Yotei, and the quality of snow is unparalleled. Niseko gets on average 14m (46ft) of snow each winter, making it a paradise for powder skiers. Take a look at these top hotels.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With ski-to-door access and lift passes for sale inside, Hotel Resort Inn Niseko is the place to stay for convenient skiing. Bedrooms are simple, clean and functional. To get you excited for a day on the slopes, the hotel provides incredible mountain views from its rooms and, when your day of skiing is done, the hot tub is waiting to warm you up and soothe tired muscles.
Foodies and winter fanatics alike will enjoy a magical experience at Ki Niseko. This boutique hotel offers its winter guests snowmobile tours and private ski lessons, alongside ski and snowboard rental. Chic, modern rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the snow, plus there’s a steamy outdoor onsen in which to soak your aching muscles. The hotel restaurant, An Dining, dishes up super creative Japanese cuisine that is so beautifully displayed, you’ll definitely need to take a covert photo.
If you’re coming to Niseko to relax in the heart of nature, Zaborin is for you. Zaborin takes the concept of a Japanese ryokan – a traditional inn – and blends it with astonishing vistas and access to the area’s finest hot springs. Its wooden structure blends in with the surrounding trees, and the muted lighting creates a warm, cosy feel. Sunlight pours through the large windows. Here, guests have access to their own private onsen (shaped like a rock overflowing with hot water) with both indoor and outdoor hot springs available.
Unlike the traditional European chalet, Chalet Ivy looks relatively unassuming from the outside. Inside, however, you’ll be treated to a white marble lobby and comfy suites with plump pillows and modern wooden furniture. A welcome and cosy stay, regardless of the season, Chalet Ivy offers you an array of wellness options, from traditional onsen to a well-equipped gym and spa. Staff will help you arrange both winter and summer activities, from skiing and snowmobile excursions in the icy months, to kayaking and mountain biking when it gets warm.
The authentic Hokkaido experience is offered by Ikoino Yuyado Iroha in the form of seasonal local food and hot-spring access. One of Hokkaido’s signature dishes is lamb barbecue, and this meal is one of many local options provided by Ikoino Yuyado Iroha. Other dishes include locally sourced seafood platters and chirashizushi (a rice bowl that includes fresh vegetables and sashimi). Rooms here are simple and functional – after all, you’ll be spending more time outside and eating.
English country cottage vibes meet American cabin aesthetics in this unique boutique hotel. With a veranda space for eating outside with friends and hammocks for lazing out in the sun, Country Inn Milky House is the ideal Niseko hotel for couples and groups of friends looking to enjoy a summer stay in the area. With a focus on outdoor dining and relaxing, this is a must-stay hotel in the warmer months.
For the finest ski-in, ski-out experience, Aya Niseko offers glamorous, ultra-modern luxury within striking distance of the slopes. Natural light pervades these suites and apartment-style rooms, complete with underfloor heating and full kitchens. On the fifth floor, it has its own yoga studio, plus a gym and onsen downstairs. Don’t miss the luxury spa or in-house Ginger restaurant, serving everything from eggs benedict to sashimi with miso soup.
Budget travellers will enjoy snuggling up in one of the wooden capsules at the Lodge Moiwa. Each one has a lockable baggage hold, plus a personal reading light inside. Just a minute’s walk from the slopes, you can grab a coffee, a bowl of ramen or even a pizza from Restaurant Raphael before a day on the mountain. Leave your skis in the lockers outside before making use of the super clean shower room, complete with shampoo for you to use.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.