Hokkaido has earned its reputation as one of the top destinations for travelers in Japan. Boasting unspoiled natural sights, festivals, historical landmarks, coastline villages and the freshest seafood in the country, the island is sure to impress even the most seasoned traveler. There are many reasons to visit Hokkaido, but we have narrowed it down to 10 of the best.
Hokkaido is home to some of the most peaceful and luxurious onsen (hot spring) locations in Japan. Traditionally thought to be a cure for just about every type of injury or sickness, locals and visitors alike go to the onsen to rest, recharge, and relax.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Home to the 1972 Winter Olympics, the mountains here boast some of the best ski conditions in the world. It comes as no surprise that skiers and boarders from all over flock to Niseko, Kiroro, and Rusutsu resorts to experience Hokkaido’s finest powder snow.
Hokkaido’s seasonal festivals keep things lively all year round; from cultural events to beer festivals, ice sculptures to flower viewing, there is something here for every kind of traveler. If visiting during the wintertime, be sure to check out the legendary Sapporo Snow Festival, a week long event featuring massive ice sculptures, athletic competitions, food tastings, and even a beauty contest.
Hokkaido’s mountainous terrain, green landscapes, and deep valleys have earned it the reputation of being the ultimate hiking destination. Guaranteed to satisfy thrill seekers and adventurers, several mountain trails will take hikers across still active volcanoes.
Known as the “Kingdom of Food” among the Japanese, Hokkaido offers the freshest seafood, produce and dairy products in the country. The curbside markets in Sapporo provide locals and tourists a chance to buy locally (and at wholesale prices). There are also several sushi and sashimi restaurants stationed throughout the markets for visitors just looking for a quick lunch.
Jingisukan (Ghengis Kahn)
Any dish named after a Mongolian warlord is bound to pack a punch; diners can enjoy a hefty portion of lamb/mutton and vegetables grilled over an iron dome skillet. Legend has it that the shape of the skillet represents the helmets of Mongolian soldiers. This may or may not be true, but that doesn’t make it any less delicious.
With its rich biodiversity, pristine lakes and rivers, and active volcanoes, Hokkaido features some of the most impressive parks and world heritage sites in Japan. Daisetsuzan, the island’s largest park, covers over 2,300 square meters, while the other five national parks offer hiking, hot springs, animal sanctuaries, and the famous Lake Shikotsu Ice Festival.
The rolling hills, lush greenery, fresh produce and dairy farms of Hokkaido are a must for travelers in need of some fresh air. Cycling enthusiasts should pay a visit to the “Road of Patchwork” in the small town of Biei, a wide field where the flowers are grown in alternating colors.
The small fishing towns and port cities that run along the coast of Hokkaido make lovely places to visit for couples, families, or anyone looking for a bit of relaxation. The town of Otaru is a quaint and comfortable place known for its local charm and romantic atmosphere.
Otaru, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan
The Sapporo Beer Factory and Beer Museum offers tourists a behind-the-scenes look into the history of brewing in Japan as well as how the beer is made. Of course, the tour ends with a 30 minute all you can drink session, so guests are advised to have lunch before taking the tour.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.