Anime auteur Makoto Shinkai has taken plenty of inspiration from real-life locations in the Japanese capital, from tranquil city parks to seedy entertainment districts.
Just a few years ago, Makoto Shinkai was a promising young director who had made a decent dent in Japan’s anime landscape with films like The Garden Of Words (2013) and Children Who Chase Lost Voices (2011). That all changed in 2016 with the release of Your Name, the feature-length film that propelled him to worldwide acclaim. An instant classic, it was the sort of animated masterpiece that comes out of Japan once every generation, having the same impact reserved for other landmark films such as Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away (2001) and Katsuhiro Otomo’s Akira (1988). His latest release, Weathering With You (2019), has already been met with warm reviews from fans and critics.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Shinkai’s films contain fantastical elements, but are rooted in real-world characters and places. He makes use of everyday locations to ground his stories in reality, helping to make them more relatable. Most of these places can be found amid the gleaming cityscape of Tokyo and are popular spots with anime fans, who take pictures recreating iconic moments from Makoto’s films.
Author’s note: Spoilers ahead for ‘Weathering With You’ and ‘Your Name’
Shinjuku Gyo-en gardens (‘The Garden Of Words’)
Makoto’s acclaimed 2013 short film tells the story of a teenage student’s chance encounter with an older woman, and the life-changing relationship that follows. Much of the narrative takes place in an inner-city park found nestled in Shinjuku, Tokyo’s business and entertainment district. The site dates back to the Edo period, when it was bequeathed by the Shogun to the Naito family in 1772. Destroyed during the Second World War, it was rebuilt and now contains English, French and Japanese-style gardens as well as a Japanese tea house. The covered benches near the Taiwan Pavilion are the rendezvous point for characters Yukari and Takao, who gather there whenever it rains to spend time with one another.
Suga Shrine stairs (‘Your Name’)
Suga Shrine in Shinjuku is a small hideaway where worshippers can enjoy some spiritual peace and quiet amid the hectic clatter of daily life. The Shinto shrine dates back to Edo-era Japan and was originally two different shrines until they were consolidated as part of the Meiji Restoration. The staircase leading to it has now become iconic among anime fans thanks to its inclusion in the climax of Your Name, when body-swapping teens Mitsuha and Taki finally meet years after the devastating meteor that wipes out Mitsuha’s hometown. The steps were used in posters for the film, and if you tap #sugashrine into Instagram you’ll find a flood of photographic tributes to the movie’s closing moments.
Shinjuku police station intersection (‘Your Name‘)
The police station in Shinjuku is one of the busiest in the city, handling everything from lost and found to major crimes. A short distance from it is an intersection notable for a giant circular beam housing traffic lights for a busy intersection. This spot is used frequently in Your Name, in particular during a time-lapse montage soundtracked by Japanese alternative rockers RADWIMPS. The intersection also pops up briefly in other Shinkai works; it appears for a few seconds in his 2007 anthology 5 Centimeters Per Second and the accompanying manga.
Kabukicho (‘Weathering With You‘)
The beating heart of Shinjuku’s red-light district is crammed with love hotels, adult bookstores, cafés, restaurants, hostess bars and nightclubs. It also houses Golden Gai, the legendary grid of alleyways containing themed micro-bars. Such is Kabukicho’s reputation that it has the nickname ‘The Sleepless Town’, and it takes its name from plans in the late 1940s to build a Kabuki theatre in the area (said plans never came to fruition). It is here that protagonist Hodaka arrives after fleeing his home town at the start of the film. He spends his nights sleeping in cramped quarters at a manga café, one of many such businesses in the area, in between hustling for work and eating at McDonald’s, where he crosses paths with the film’s heroine, Hina. In the movie’s first act, he intervenes when Hina is groomed by local sleazebags to work in a hostess bar, and the two flee through the seedy side-streets.
Yoyogi Kaikan (‘Weathering With You’)
In the film’s opening moments, Hina inadvertently discovers her weather-altering powers when she prays at a shrine on top of a disused building. You can find it if you take a stroll just past the NTT Yoyogi Docomo building in Shibuya (an area that is also home to the world-famous four-way pedestrian crossing). Visitors of any kind are strictly forbidden, though, as the site has been earmarked for demolition.
NTT Yoyogi Docomo building (‘Weathering With You’, ‘Your Name’, ‘5 Centimeters Per Second’, ‘Someone’s Gaze’)
Presumably, Makoto Shinkai has a soft spot for the landmark skyscraper, which took 13 years to construct. The building holds offices and is also a storage site for Docomo, one of Japan’s biggest telephone networks. It appears across a number of Shinkai’s works: it features in the third part of 5 Centimeters Per Second, it looms over Shinjuku Gyo-en gardens in The Garden Of Words and forms the backdrop for scenes in Your Name and Weathering With You.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.