From personally designed capsule hotels to lifestyle hubs with their own fashion labels, here are some of the best hotels in Shibuya, Tokyo – bookable with Culture Trip.
Shibuya is home to the famous crossing, said to be the busiest pedestrian crossing in the world. But there’s also a vast network of bars and some of the best shopping on the planet. The best way to experience it all is by staying right in the eye of the storm. The area boasts a large, eclectic selection of accommodation, but which Shibuya hotel is best for you?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hotel Emit Shibuya was designed for those who want their finger firmly on the contemporary pulse of the city, with the backdrop of a more mature, retro-appreciative style. Every room of Hotel Emit Shibuya, including the laid-back café, boasts inspired pieces sourced from ACME furniture, an outpost known for its iconic vintage American pieces and excellent interior style. Ideally situated within walking distance of both Shibuya and Harajuku stations (home to Yoyogi Park, the Meiji Shrine and shopping-hotspot Omotesando), the hotel embodies its on-trend location at every twist and immaculately styled turn.
One of the newest players on Tokyo’s contemporary hotel scene, Trunk Hotel is much more than just a place to rest. Situated right on the doorstep of Harajuku’s fashion-forward Cat Street and a 10-minute stroll from Shibuya Crossing, it’s in the middle of all the action, but tucked far enough off the main thoroughfare to provide some peace and quiet. The hotel features its own Trunk brand convenience store, a sprawling outdoor deck and a lobby that is a popular co-working space by day and by night transforms into a sleek cocktail bar.
Sitting on the Harajuku corner of Shibuya, Hotel Koé is much more than just a hotel. It’s also an arts hub, live music space, bar, café, restaurant, co-working hub and retail store. It was founded by the apparel company Stripe, which is why it’s practically overflowing with street-style cool. The Shibuya hotel features 10 rooms in total, of different sizes ranging from S to XL, each of them designed with an appreciation for elegant minimalism. Keep an eye out when visiting, as this place is full of surprises. One particular surprise is the check-in desk, which some nights transforms into a DJ booth manned by Masaya Kuroki of fashion and music label Maison Kitsuné.
Great for exploring the city on foot, Shibuya Hotel EN is just a five-minute walk to the 109 Building and Shibuya Crossing, and a 10-minute walk the sugary pink streets of Harajuku’s Takeshita Street. There are countless bars and restaurants surrounding the hotel. However, if you’re too tired to go any further after a day of exploring, you’ll find an intimate, inspired on-site bistro serving up Japanese black wagyu beef, lamb chops, langoustines, sautéed foie gras and fresh fish daily.
If location is your number one priority, then Hotel Mets Shibuya is definitely your list topper. Owned by the JR train company, this impressive complex is located just a few minutes by foot from Shibuya Crossing but is far enough away from the dead centre to avoid all the traffic. Here, you can expect spacious rooms, affordable prices and excellent on-site dining. If you’re chasing a no-fuss stay that ticks all the boxes, this is it.
Mustard, which opened in 2018, has established itself as a boundary-pushing hotel to watch. Located just behind the bustling Shibuya Crossing in the revamped Shibuya Bridge complex, the hotel is surrounded by shiny new bars, cafés and shopping outlets. If you want to get around the city just like the Shibuya locals do, the hotel can hook you up with smooth, affordable bike rental from W-BASE, the bicycle shop.
Shibuya Stream Excel Hotel Tokyu, one of the most popular accommodation options in the city, couldn’t be more central – it’s just 800m (0.5mi) from Shibuya Crossing and a 12-minute walk to the shopping hub of Shibuya, while the Shibuya Stream shopping complex sits right on the doorstep. The decor is classic inner-city living with a progressive edge.
Lucy Dayman contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.