It’s time to believe the myths and legends you’ve been told. Japanese konbinis (convenience stores) are mystical lands filled with wonderful and bizarre snacks, delicious dinners, more drinks than a liquor store, and of course ice cream. When it comes to variety, Japanese konbini ice creams are in a league of their own – here’s a guide to some some of the weirdest and the best.
Sweet Potato Ice Cream 安納芋もなか
This humble ice cream definitely pushes the creative boundaries of what an ice cream can be and that’s no exaggeration. Shaped like a yakimo (sweet potato in Japanese) this frozen treat features a crunchy wafer-like outside and is filled with sweet potato-flavoured ice cream. Though some people find it to be a little overly sweet, its ingenious design and multi-layered texture make it a must-try at least once. Be aware through that this is a seasonal treat (like many other sweet potato-flavoured goodies) so it can be a little elusive, but the best time to find it is in autumn.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Yukimi Daifuku 雪見だいふく
Mochi, is potentially Japan’s most dangerous sweet. Forget fugu (blowfish) it’s mochi that claims the most lives each year from suffocation, which is sadly ironic because it’s eaten during special events as a sign of long life. Made from gelatinous rice, this chewy “rice cake” treat comes in a variety of flavours and styles, including ice cream. Yukimi Daifuku is the popular mochi ice cream hybrid and it’s as delicious as it is fun to eat. The tidy little golf ball-sized ice cream balls are covered with a chewy sweet, powdery mochi skin.
Deliciously simple, Pino ice creams are the perfect snack for when you want a treat but don’t want to commit to an entire ice cream bar. Bite-sized domes of vanilla ice cream covered in a crispy milk chocolate shell – it’s pretty close to impossible not to devour all six pieces in one sitting. There are a number of rotating variations on offer including chocolate and almond cream, however vanilla is the classic and arguably best.
Jumbo Monaka ジャンボモナカ
Now it’s time for the big guns and when it comes to ice cream snacks it doesn’t get much bigger than the Jumbo. This oversized ice cream sandwich features everything you want in a decent frozen treat: soft ice cream, chocolate and a chewy outside wafer. A slab of vanilla ice cream is dipped in the chocolate shell and then encased in a ribbed wafer covering, that’s been designed like a block of chocolate meaning that if you want to break it up into pieces to share, you can, but it’s so delicious you probably won’t.
Häagen-Dazs mini cups
Though technically Häagen-Dazs is an American company, the one in Japan is unlike anywhere else in the world. Embracing the ice cream brand with open arms (and hungry bellies) Häagen-Dazs has found a second home on the shelves of Japanese konbinis across the nation. Getting experimental with flavour combinations, they’ve come up with a stack of interesting options including pumpkin, salty butter biscuit and annou imo (sweet potato). What’s on offer may vary from store to store, but the choices are never dull.
Squeezable ice cream sounds weird, but its definitely a thing here, and the best way to enter this world is with a Papico. Coming in seasonal flavours and with regular options of chocolate, coffee and vanilla, the best way to explain the treat is that it’s a thick shake-ice cream hybrid. They come in fun little packs of two ‘bottles’ making them the perfect treat to share.
Another iconic figure in the squeezable ice cream realm is Coolish, which is basically soft served in a small, palm-sized squeezable bag. This is the perfect snack for those wanting to have a little ice cream on the run, as you can screw on the top of the pack and slip it into your pocket if you need to hide it. They come in classic vanilla and Belgian chocolate flavours, plus other fleeting seasonal varieties.
Suika bar スイカバー
Suika Baa, which literally means ‘watermelon bar’ in Japanese is a nostalgic little summer favourite and the perfect thirst-quenching icy treat. Shaped like a refreshing slice of watermelon, the red part tastes like watermelon while the green base tastes like lime. The best part though? The tiny little milk chocolate seeds that are dotted throughout the bar, it’s a delicious little extra touch.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.