Planning a trip to Japan and looking for a little inspiration, or just after a little more cultural diversity in your Instagram feed? Here are nine Instagram pages that’ll make you want to move to Japan immediately. From historic temples to atmospheric landscapes, these perfectly curated feeds will show you a side to this beautiful country you never knew existed.
Sure Tokyo and Kyoto are stunning cities, but what makes Instagram such an incredible tool for travel inspiration is accounts like this. Based in Hokkaido, user Pikaring shares meticulously crafted shots of a corner of Japan you probably never knew even existed. Using a mixture of digital, film and iPhone photos, this feed is a soft, atmospheric display of Japanese countryside, which looks basically like something ripped out of the editorial pages of a travel magazine. For a little whimsy with your wanderlust, be sure to hit follow.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Slowly but surely Japan is garnering a reputation for being a must-visit beach destination, and the work of Okinawa based photographer Yama_ok5 is definitely helping the cause. Wide angled landscape shots, close ups of rippling water, lush natural portraits, scrolling through this feed is basically the closest you can get to taking a tropical holiday while you’re on the commute to work. If you’ve never considered Japan as your ideal beach destination, you probably will now!
A temple with its own Instagram account, yep welcome to modern age spirituality. But actually this is a pretty incredible and progressive way for a temple to share its beauty with the rest of the world. Located in Kyoto, Kiyomizu-dera Temple is a historic tourist destination with one of the most incredible photo feeds in all of Japan. Perfectly lit, atmospheric images of snowcapped gardens and religious leaders in action, each image here feels like nothing less than a piece of world class art.
Based in Kanagawa, nakinavy has gained quite an impressive following by balancing both gritty street shoots with the historical and the futuristic. From one shot of the city skyline of Osaka, to the endless bright orange rows of tori gates that lead up to a towering inari shine, what you’re going to get next on this feed is anyone’s guess, but one thing that’s consistent is the undeniably incredible pictures of Japan.
For something a little different to street shots and whimsical historical Tokyo, check out the work of 10_ya, a photographer with an uncanny eye for the atmospheric. Looking at these images and comparing them to your typical assumptions of what the country looks like, it’s hard to believe that they’re taken in Japan. From deep desert sand dunes, to mist coated fields of green, this feed is the ultimate in Japan travel inspiration.
Although, in terms of subjects, _Tuck4’s images may have more common aesthetic connections to other street style shots of Japan, what separates him form the others is his undeniable style. Easy on the eyes but still gritty and fascinating, these images have a level of depth that only the most skilled photographer can draw out of an image. Also his use of colour, contrast and mix of street, landscapes and portraiture is what keeps this feed endlessly fascinating.
For photos that look like they’ve been taken straight from the screen of a soft-focus blockbuster anime be sure to follow the work of hirobenz250. What’s so beautiful about these shots is the way the subject matter of the feed transforms with the passing seasons. One moment we’re ankle deep in mountainous snowfields, next we’re laying under the sakura covered branches of a cherry tree in spring. Also a master of time-lapse photography, the work of hirobenz250 is as much about capturing a feeling as it is about getting the perfect picture.
If you’ve visited before and are feeling that longing that’s all too common with Japan lovers, then be sure to follow yuma1983. One of Tokyo’s best street photographers, who manages to capture areas outside of the city with as much energy, depth and focus as he does the busy city streets. From the warm orange glow of izakaya lanterns, to the moody blue of the night sky unfolding over Mt Fuji, there’s so much to be said about his use of colour to perfectly encapsulate the feeling of the city.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.