Wintertime is a great time to visit Japan. With the crowds of summer gone, you’re free to visit the usual sights with a little more elbow room and enjoy the country’s other great winter activities. Here are our favorites.
Hit the slopes
Winter sports fanatics flock to Japan each year for a chance to test out its famous slopes. One of the most popular destinations is Niseko, a ski resort town located in the northern Hokkaido region. The surrounding area is also home to plenty of hot spring resorts, which are perfect after a day out in the snow.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Check out the winter festivals
In Japan, festival fever dies down with the coming of winter, but it doesn’t go away completely. Some of the country’s best festivals take place in the colder months, such as the annual Sapporo Snow Festival (Yuki Matsuri). During this festival, the city is filled with stunning sculptures of snow and ice and illuminated with festive lights and seasonal displays.
Go on a snowy hike
Winter is the low season for hiking and mountaineering, but for the bold, it can also be one of the most rewarding times to scale Japan’s peaks. The quiet winter and picturesque mountain snow make winter hikes a completely different experience from summertime. And with clear, crisp skies, winter is also the best time to see the mountains from afar, including the iconic Mount Fuji.
Shop for winter fashions
Japan is one of the fashion capitals of the world, so hit the shops and stock up on winter necessities you won’t find anywhere else. The end of the year is also the time for fukubukuro (called lucky bags or happy bags), which are discounted bags filled with surprise clothing inside, though some brands have started offering sneak peaks into what the bags hold.
Snack on oden
Cheap, easy and delicious, oden—a mix of ingredients such as daikon, egg and fish cakes cooked in a soy and dashi broth—is a perfect snack on a cold winter’s day. You can find oden almost everywhere in the cold weather months, from snack carts to convenience stores and even some izakaya.
Visit an onsen
Japan is home to countless natural hot springs, and these onsen are some of the country’s top winter attractions. Make your way to a hot spring town such as Hakone. If you’d rather stick to the city limits, sento or public baths and man-made hot spring attractions such as Oedo Onsen Monogatari in Tokyo are an equally good idea.
Admire the winter illuminations
Japan’s cities come to life in the winter season. The lights in Roppongi have become symbolic of winter in Tokyo, and places such as Kobe, Kyoto, and Osaka all have their own annual lightings and wintertime display traditions. One of the country’s most famous illuminations is that of Shirakawa-go, a small village and UNESCO World Heritage Site filled with traditional farmhouses.
Warm up in a café
Japan’s artisanal coffee scene continues to grow. Specialty cafés are popping up everywhere, specializing in anything from single-origin imports to their own innovative brewing techniques. And in winter when the high travel seasons are over, one of the best parts of trying one out is actually being able to find a seat.
Nothing warms you up in winter like a steaming bowl of nabe, or Japanese hot pot. It is one of the most popular wintertime dishes. There are tons of varieties of hot pot dishes, from motsunabe, which uses tripe, to light and vegetarian varieties. Nabe is also a great dish to cook at home.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.