Hiking the Kumano Kodo is like taking a walk through history. The trail is over 1,000 years old and was once a place of religious pilgrimage. Monks would tread through forests and scale mountains to reach holy sites, many of which are still standing. There are many reasons to follow their footsteps on this trail, which has been pristinely preserved and is still walkable.
The Kumano Kodo is actually a vast network of many connected trails. Hiking the entire route would take days. However, there are options that allow hikers to walk as much or as little of the trail as they please, as well as ways to skip the rugged road altogether and go straight to the attractions that draw pilgrims and tourists to this day. Whether you navigate the trail on foot or via public transit, below are the best reasons to experience the Kumano ancient road.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visit the temple town of Koyasan
This tranquil village is located high up in the mountains and is serene in its seclusion. Koyasan is the headquarters of a sect of Buddhism called Shingon and is one of the holiest sites on the trail. It is said that the spirit of the founding monk of Shingon, Kobo Daishi, still prays for world peace in a temple in Okunoin, the largest cemetery in Japan.
Okunoin, 1-3-2 Koyasan, Koya, Ito-gun, Wakayama, Japan
See majestic Nachi Falls
This is Japan’s tallest waterfall and the backdrop of numerous travel photos, because it’s just that picturesque. There is an orange pagoda in nearby Buddhist temple Seigantoji that is a great addition to the foreground of a photograph. Not only are the falls are a gorgeous sight, but the natural feature has also long been venerated as a holy place guarded by gods.
Enjoy swimming and onsen at Shirahama Beach
Known as one of the best beaches in western Japan, Shirahama is also home to outdoor onsen, surreal rock formations, and a subterranean shrine. Sakinoyu, the most famous local onsen, is one of the country’s oldest hot springs and offers bathers views of the sea. The incredible natural wonders of this town draw millions of visitors every year, yet the beach is only crowded during the months of July and August.
Indulge in traditional culture at Yunomine Onsen
This tranquil town is full of Japanese inns built around a wealth of natural hot springs. Pilgrims used to stop here and perform purification rites. Today, the hot springs are still known for their healing effects.
Yunomine Onsen, Hongucho Shimoyukawa, Tanabe, Wakayama, Japan
Take a tour of the Dorokyo Gorge
This 31-kilometer-long (19 mi.) ravine is an excellent sightseeing spot as well as a haven for adventurers. The cliffs and unique rock formations have designated Dorokyo Gorge as a beloved natural monument. Activities include rafting and boating, both traditional Japanese-style and modern, allowing visitors an up-close view of the towering precipices that overlook the river.
Behold some of Japan’s best shrines
The Kumano Kodo was originally created to connect the Kumano Sanzan, the three great Shinto shrines of Kumano. Hongu Taisha is the main Kumano shrine in Japan and home to the world’s largest torii (shrine gate), Nachi Taisha is near the waterfall of the same name and the hot spring resort of Katsuura, and Hayatama Taisha houses an important site from an ancient creation myth. They are all located in the southeast of Wakayama Prefecture and can be reached on foot or as a day trip by booking a bus tour.
Experience one of the best hikes in Japan
Hiking the Kumano Kodo can be customized to the traveler’s liking. One can hike long stretches for days at a time, camping or staying at traditional inns along the way, or simply do a day hike. These vary from strenuous mountain hikes to quaint forest walks. The scenery also varies; hikers stroll along leaf-strewn paths, cobblestone walkways, and even through golf courses and parking lots (thanks to modern development). It’s difficult to find a more diverse or picturesque hiking experience anywhere else in the nation. It’s no wonder that this is one of only two pilgrimage trails in the world to be a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Check out the trail’s official website for a list of suggested hikes and travel itineraries.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.