With its long winters, rich history, and indigenous population, the northern island of Hokkaido has a distinct culture, unique to that of the rest of Japan. We take a look at some of the holidays, special events, and traditions that make Hokkaido truly one of a kind.
While most people don’t typically associate one with the other, the small town of Toyoura in southern Hokkaido is famous for two things: strawberry farming, and pork. Apparently, the local government decided to save time and celebrate both products at once, and thus the Strawberry and Pork festival was created. Aside from the obvious dining options, the event also features live performances and marching bands.
Toyoura, Abuta District, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan
This 3 day parade dates back nearly 400 years and is one of Japan’s oldest festivals. Local residents carry various mikoshi (portable shrines) through the streets, the oldest of which was built in Osaka in the year 1694. The festival also features traditional musical accompaniment mainly performed by flutists and drummers.
Ubagamicho, Esashi, Hiyama District, Hokkaido, Prefecture 043-0041, Japan
Located just an hour’s drive from Sapporo, this beautiful port city already has a reputation for being something of a fairytale, but the real magic happens around the first two weeks in February. For 10 days, the entire city is lit up by lanterns and miniature snow statues, creating a beautiful and calm winter wonderland.
Otaru, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan
Hokkaido is known as the “Kingdom of Food” to the Japanese due to its fresh seafood, strong agricultural industry, and locally raised livestock. Every year for about three weeks in September, restaurateurs and farmers from all over Hokkaido set up booths to promote their local delicacies and products at the Sapporo Autumn Festival. All the staples of Hokkaido can be found here, such as miso ramen, sashimi, and soup curry.
Sapporo, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan
Located at the famous Jozankei hot spring resort, Yuki Zanmai (literally, “snow indulgence”, but more commonly known in English as “Jozankei Mountain Party”) is an all-ages winter celebration taking place every year in mid January. Guests have a chance to ride dog sleds and snow rafts and take a pleasant stroll through Yukitouro (“Snow Candle Way”), which is a local shrine lit up at night by around two thousand candles.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sapporo Snow Festival
Drawing in over two million tourists per year, this now legendary festival of ice and snow was started by a group of high school students in 1950. Participants can join sporting competitions, ski and snowboard events, ice sculpture exhibits, and even a beauty contest where the winner is awarded the title of “Ice Queen”.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.