A vision awash with gold-tinted leaves and multi-coloured landscapes, autumn is one of Mother Nature’s greatest gifts and a reminder that change is both inevitable and invigorating. From the koyo mosaics of Japan to New Mexico’s leafy canvases, traverse all corners of the globe and embrace the autumnal alchemy.
Saturated with shades of crimson, amber and gold, Japan in autumn mirrors the dream-like essence of traditional Japanese woodblock prints. This striking autumnal spell is known as koyo and sees the leaves transform into a wondrous potion of vivid hues that rival the powdery pinks of the adored spring-time cherry blossoms. Found basking halfway up Mt. Otowa in the glory of Kyoto’s Higashiyama mountain range, Kiyomizu-dera Temple pays homage to the merciful and compassionate deity, Kanno.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
So much more than the imagery of blood-thirsty vampires and ancient lairs, Transylvania is draped in a kaleidoscope of colours that dust the patchwork quilt of hardwood forests and hiking trails. Dotted with mountain villages and oceans of wildflowers, the region’s medieval castles are enough to entice the wildest of imaginations. The kind of place you want to get lost in.
Thanks to its offering of adobe buildings, artist colonies and wood-rimmed mountains, New Mexico exceeds its status as a Land of Enchantment. The autumnal seas of quaking aspen transform into waves of animated goddesses dripping in gold. These Midas-touched trees are a ubiquitous sight in northern New Mexico, especially those dispersed across Taos and the towering Santa Fe National Forest adorning the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
A postcard-perfect spa city laden with bathhouses and head-turning architecture, Budapest is a dream for culture-hungry wanderlusters. The walkable nature is all part of its inimitable charm, with its slew of cosy cafes, art galleries and noteworthy restaurants lining the streets. The plenitude of public parks and leaf-adorned buildings — think Margaret Island, City Park and Gellért Hill — add a dose of respite and some breathtaking autumnal eye-candy.
Amidst the beckoning neon lights, the sprawling tech-savvy metropolis of Seoul is heavily seasoned with leafy garnishes as resplendent as its overall effervescence. Along with the burgeoning fashion district, floating islands and neo-futuristic Zaha Hadid-designed Dongdaemin Design Plaza, South Korea’s capital is also the motherland of K-pop and Korean Wave. Placed upon the Han River and hugged by mountains, you don’t have to venture far to find natural beauty and historical markers.
A constant juxtaposition of old and new, culture-rich Cambodia is an adventurer’s golden nugget peppered with archaeological sites, architecture galore and art deco markets. Siem Reap is a chic portal to a bygone past and the gateway to ancient Angkor, the former capital city of the Khmer Empire riddled with otherworldly temples. Consider the sunsets and surrounding trees collateral beauty.
A diverse landscape draped in scenic magic, Germany is no stranger to fairytale castles and enchanting rural villages. Like a snapshot from a dream, Neuschwanstein Castle — the masterpiece of enigmatic King Ludwig II — is romance in limestone and mortar, especially when the watchful forests show off their rich hues of autumnal amber, scarlet and gold. From the Bavarian Alps to Munich and Nuremberg, there’s much adventuring to be had.
California may dance with the senses but Yosemite Valley sings to the soul. An iconic pilgrimage site for climbers and adrenaline-junkies, this glacial valley is perfectly situated in the western Sierra Nevada mountains in Yosemite National Park. Endless layers of foliage, rocks of all shapes and descriptions, gushing waterfalls and grassy patches amalgamate to a memorable misty embroidery of colours.
Scotland is infused with legend and visions of remote ancient villages framed with magical scenery. The Highlands is all that and then some. From the mighty Munros and hidden bothy houses, to brooding lochs and historic glens, Scotland’s colourful heritage is synonymous with its land. Whatever the season, the tapestry of tones blanketed across the Highlands is definitely one for the dream board.
Tucked away in Czech Republic’s South Bohemia, Český Krumlov is a town of unparalleled beauty. The eye-catching buildings, which come in an artist’s palette of convivial colours have a fairytale feel, but none as much as the centuries-old castle, with its smorgasbord of architectural styles and lush gardens. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, this mini Prague is a riot of colour come autumn, especially the Vltava River and its ethereal reflections.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.