Hokkaido may rank third in popularity as a tourist destination after Tokyo and Kyoto, but it is considered by the Japanese to be the most beautiful region in the country. Located at the northernmost tip of Japan, the scenic coastline, snow-capped mountains, and unspoiled nature attract millions of international travelers every year. Have a look at some of Hokkaido’s most awe inspiring views.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This massive, circular lake is located in Shikotsu-Toya National Park and has a diameter of about 10 km. The mountains and volcanos surrounding the lake provide a perfect vantage point for photographers or hikers who simply want to enjoy the view.
This peaceful, old fashioned port city is located less than an hour’s drive from Sapporo. Known for its cozy cafes, sushi restaurants, and the Otaru Canal, this is a prime spot for couples and families looking to get out of the big city.
Frequently used as a backdrop for TV dramas and commercials, this small town of around 11,000 people is famous for its rolling hills, greenery, and fields of flowers. The best way to see the town is to rent a bicycle and ride along the “Patchwork Road”.
Also located in the town of Biei, this man made pond was created in 1988 to protect the area from volcanic flow from the nearby mountains. Naturally occurring minerals in the water give the pond a bluish hue.
Running along the Shakotan Peninsula, the Shimamui coast offers visitors the best view of the Sea of Japan. The area is located about two hours from Sapporo by car.
Noboribetsu Hell Valley
Just above the famous onsen town of Noboribetsu is Hell Valley, which gets its name from the hot steam vents and the smell of sulphur caused by volcanic activity. From the valley, there are several trails for walking and day hikes.
These five crystal clear lakes reflect the surrounding trees and mountains of the Shiretoko mountain range, offering travelers one of the most tranquil environments in all of Hokkaido.
Footbridge at Shiretoko
In addition to its five lakes, Shiretoko boasts several trails for hiking enthusiasts and nature lovers. The footbridge across the marshland helps hikers cross the area.
Hokkaido University Botanical Gardens
Established over 200 years ago, these botanical gardens maintained by Hokkaido University are open daily to the general public. In addition to plants, the garden also features a natural history museum, traditional Hokkaido homes, and a tropical greenhouse.
This extinct volcano rising out of the Sea of Japan is one of the few mountains in the world that features a view of the ocean from all sides. The mountain is hugely popular among hikers and campers (there’s a campground at the base) and a festival is held every July 2nd and 3rd to celebrate the beginning of hiking season.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.