Japan is arguably one of the world’s most photogenic nations – its futuristic megacities through to its rich cultural history make it the perfect fodder for photographers from across the world. Though international photographers have captured the beauty of Japan time and time again, there’s no one who truly understands it better than its locals. Here are just a handful of up-and-coming travel photographers based in Japan to amaze and inspire.
The US-born and Tokyo-based photographer made his way to Japan from San Francisco via Florida. Having lived here for several years now, Curry’s work has covered many facets of life in Japan, from the diverse landscapes of Japan to the everyday hustle of living in one of the biggest cities in the world. Working in both film and digital realms, his images swimming in depth and rich colour give his work an instantly recognisable feel even though his subject matter is never the same. Check out his Instagram for more.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Australian-born photographer Benjamin Hung to relocated to Tokyo four years ago and the city has ceased to be an endless ocean of inspiration for this neon-light addict. Ranging from super close-up commercial photography, to bird’s eye views of the city, Hung’s work changes as regularly as the lights at Shibuya crossing. His ability to tread the boundaries between everyday real life and super slick sci-fi fantasy encapsulate Japan’s mystic like not many others can. His Instagram is a sight to behold.
If there’s one photographer who can zoom in on the mundanity of life in Japan while still making it completely enthralling it’s UK-born, now Tokyo-based Chris Lloyd. During his time in Japan he’s worked for a number of campaigns in the cutthroat world of commercial photography, however it’s the unique perspective and impeccable timing of his street photography work that is most captivating and has been him garner attention from across the world. His Instagram feed is inspirational.
A photographer who truly belongs to the Instagram world, Yoshito Hasaka is a creative and designer who knows just how to push the boundaries of photo manipulation to the very edge. Balancing contract, colour and perspective just so, Hasaka’s surrealistic take on the city of Tokyo looks like something cut straight from a graphic novel or high production anime. Reflecting the clichéd images of Japan projected by the media, by using real life photos of Tokyo, Hasaka’s work is as subversive as it is visually addictive. For more, check out Hasaka’s Instagram feed.
There’s little to really divulge about this enigmatic photographer. Though he’s based in New Jersey and New York, Moto’s Instagram is home to an impressive collection of travel photography from throughout Japan. From stark black and white cityscapes, to the multicoloured street of Shinjuku and temples of Asakusa, his sleek city shots peppered with moments of scenic serenity make his Instagram feed one to trawl through.
Currently working as a freelance photographer in Japan, via the way of Toronto, Tokyo-based travel photographer Diego Rojas travels relentlessly capturing corners of the country that many people didn’t even know existed. Working non-stop to promote the culture and beauty of Japan to the rest of the world, if Rojas’ photos don’t make you want to visit Japan, then nothing will. Prepare to be amazed at his Instagram.
Born in the south of France, photographer Jordy Meow isn’t the type to stay still. Previously he lived and studied (subjects unrelated to photography) in both Paris and China, before moving to Japan where he became heavily involved in the urban exploration subculture known in Japanese as haikyo. It’s this hunger for exploration that feeds into the well travelled photographer’s work, with his portfolio as diverse as his experiences. He’s published a book called Abandoned Japan which you can check out on his main and offshoot websites.
One very special thing about living in Japan is the ability to witness the country completely transform as the year progresses. From the sweltering heat of summer, to the soft pink of spring, the fiery red of autumn and a snow-capped winter, there is arguably no country more captivating all year round than Japan, and local photographer Yuma Yamashita knows this all too well. With his well-framed and expertly times photographs, Yamashita captures the essence of a constantly transforming country like no others. Cast your eye over Yamashita’s Instagram for more.
Though it’s fair to say that Tokyo is home to a large portion of the country’s city photographers, Osaka local Yuan is shining a light on the beauty of Japan’s Kansai region. From cityscapes to whimsical spiritual pockets, Yuan’s work is diverse. However his eye for colour and ability to manipulate emotion with this use of colour make his work on Instagram and beyond such a fascinating oeuvre to follow.
Though Mt. Fuji is beautiful, dedicating the majority of your life’s work to photographing mountain seems like an impossible task – there are only so many photographs you can take of the same image, right? Wrong. Japan based shooter Makoto Hashimuki proves there are a million different ways to turn a lens on the same image. Lighting, angles and seasonal changes all play a huge role in this talents nature photographer’s work as he brings a fresh perspective to the same subject again and again, as proven on his Instagram feed.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.