Escape the muggy heat of Jakarta for an adventure in Bogor, just a one-hour drive away among the foothills of Mount Salak. Once ruled by the Dutch, this Indonesian city still boasts a 190-year-old European-style palace as well as world-renowned botanical gardens, Kebun Raya Bogor – home to the world’s largest flower, the Rafflesia. Soak up the relaxed atmosphere here; after all, it was once known as Buitenzorg, translating as “carefree”. Read on to discover the top hotels in Bogor – bookable on Culture Trip.
Luxuriate among the leafy acres of this seemingly infinite resort, just half an hour from the plant-filled Bogor Botanical Gardens. Wake each morning to the soft cloud-covered peak of Mount Salak – an eroded volcano – visible from your room. If you go all out by booking a villa, you can jump straight into your very own pool, Singapore sling in hand. With five different places to eat, tennis courts and a golf course, you might need a map to navigate your way around.
Love golf? Book a room at this expansive resort that sits between two golf courses in the mountainous Puncak region. Admire the mountains from your balcony – executive rooms get you access to a lounge, and suites add living areas and kitchens; all have wooden floors and panelling, worthy of the most contemporary architect. As long as you’re not vegan or veggie, you’ll love the prime-aged steaks grilled over lava stone at the two-storey Fire Bar and Grill by the shimmering pool.
Oodles of space will keep you coming back to this hotel, tucked away in the hills due east of Bogor city. Book one of the soft brown-toned Space Room, which comes with access to the elegant pool that stretches through the hotel grounds. Slurp bowls of chicken noodle soup at the poolside Asian-inspired restaurant, then jump on a rental bike for some active exploration. Still got some energy to spare? You’re a five-minute walk from Taman Budaya Sentul City – a forest adventure park with everything from rope bridges to archery.
Kick back poolside in the lush, landscaped gardens of this five-star hotel in Bogor, 10 minutes from the centre, and toast your luck with a chilled mango margarita. The minimally-styled rooms all include balconies for admiring the velvety lawns and towering palms; upgrade for a dining area and kitchenette to cook up your favourite home-from-home snacks. Families will love the Jungle Water Adventure Park, a nine-minute walk away.
Gaze out at the big blue sky view from the modern rooms as this central hotel in the buzzy beating heart of Bogor. However, the bountiful breakfast buffet, piled high with fresh baguettes, butter and plenty of fresh fruit will no doubt lure you away. As will a trip to the nearby Botanical Gardens – home to over 400 species of palm tree and an orchid house.
Travelling with kids? This four-star Horison hotel boasts a playroom, outdoor recreation area and a mini zoo. Book a family suite, which sleeps four between a queen bed and a sofa bed. If you get a chance to escape the little ones for an hour, make a beeline for the outdoor pool and spa. Beyond the hotel, the Outbound Bogor Puncak adventure park and Taman Wisata Matahari amusement park are just a short drive away.
Soak up southern Bogor’s mountainous landscapes and rice paddies from the Amanuba Hotel & Resort, which boasts leafy views from the contemporary rooms and suites. Start the day with a dip in the Balinese-style pool or a run around the on-site jogging track, before breakfast on the terrace. Golf fans should take advantage of the Rancamaya Golf Club, under five minutes by car. Bogor city centre is a 40-minute drive away.
This Pullman outpost is one of the best five-star resort hotels in Bogor. Over 200 rooms with balconies overlook the four hotel pools, plus there are 21 luxury villas for larger groups. Salak Bar and Lounge is perfect for an afternoon drink and snack. For dinner, there are two options: the Mad Cow for succulents steaks or the Damar restaurant serves both a buffet and an à la carte menu of Indonesian and international favourites. The hotel is also home to one of the top spas in Bogor – be sure to book a full body massage.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Sarah Gibbons.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.