Decades ago, tempeh was just an everyday meal for common Indonesians, placed next to simple white rice with vegetables or other side dishes. Now, this fermented soybean patty frequents the feeds of lifestyle bloggers and peoples’ vegan meals as a favorite protein source.
Over the last few years, tempeh has become a lifestyle craze, rather than a simple meal. Discover the origin of tempeh, its nutrition facts and different ways to eat tempeh, Indonesia’s popular food that’s revolutionising vegan diets.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tempeh’s Humble Origins
The earliest reference to tempeh dates back to the 16th-century, depicting the meal as a soy-based dish found around Mataram, Central Java. Other studies suggest that the dish did not become widespread throughout Javanese culture until colonial times.
During those times, locals were forced to produce commodities in their colony. There was no time or space to raise livestock or cultivate their own farms. A soaring population also made it even harder to retain their usual ways of life. Harvest from the yard—like cassava, yam and soy—became the alternative for comestibles. In a way, tempeh saved the nation from malnutrition and starvation.
There was also a time when tempeh was considered a lowly dish, at least according to nobles and rich people who could afford other options. But in time, tempeh found its way to the tables of the wealthy and quickly became a widespread favorite.
Tempeh as a Nutritious Food
Tempeh became very popular in vegan diets for its rich Phyto-protein, among other nutrients. The fermentation process that happens during the creation of tempeh produces enzymes that make it easier for the body to process protein, fat and carbohydrates. Therefore, this food is ideal for children and elders; the meal is also a good protein alternative for those seeking to lose weight. Tempeh’s nutrients also help prevent degenerative illnesses, lower cholesterol, hypertension and even slow the aging process.
Some studies conducted post-WWII argue that tempeh was crucial in saving war prisoners from malnutrition and digestive illnesses, even though they only ate small amounts and variations of food. In other words, foods with tempeh are sufficient to sustain and meet your nutritional needs.
How to Eat Tempeh
The simplest way Indonesians eat tempeh is by deep-frying the thin slices of tempeh with a little salt and eating it with rice. Some choose to grill or steam the slices of tempeh to avoid cholesterol from deep-frying the food.
For those who practice hardcore raw eating, tempeh can also be eaten uncooked. Raw tempeh contains more digestion-aiding enzymes, but if you’re going for this option, choose the freshest tempeh product.
Fried, grilled, steamed or raw, tempeh can also be used as a salad ingredient to replace chicken or eggs as a protein source. Tempeh can be an add-on in your sandwich or burger as well.
Tempeh can be added to virtually any recipes, especially stir-fried vegetables. It also works as a meat substitution in recipes ranging from curry to sauteed green beans; just put the tempeh wherever you’d put your beef, chicken, pork or eggs.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.