Made up of more than 17,000 islands, Indonesia is the largest country in Southeast Asia, with over 300 different languages spoken. The enchanting country attracts 16 million visitors each year to its wild stretches of jungle, soaring volcanoes and bone-white sands adored by everyone from surfers to honeymooners. Embrace Indonesia’s natural beauty and fascinating cultural diversity by staying at one of these resorts, where traditional shows, wildlife walks and Balinese cooking classes are included.
Expect intimacy and barefoot luxury at this clifftop boutique resort on Bali’s southwestern coast. There are just 22 rustic-chic rooms and one private villa on the property, and even the smallest has an outdoor lounging deck, connecting tropical garden and bed draped in mosquito nets, so you can throw open the floor-to-ceiling windows before dozing off. With no TV at the resort, guests are instead encouraged to join daily yoga, try surfing at Balangan Beach or gather for weekly movies and popcorn at the outdoor cinema.
Named after a Sanskrit word used in Hinduism as a meditation mantra, it’s no surprise this resort on Bali is devoted to wellbeing. Guests can try a full detox or just relax by the pool, wake up early for included sunrise yoga and dine at the organic onsite restaurant, where fresh juices and smoothies are a speciality. There is also an Ayurvedic spa hidden within a mango forest for treatments using specially blended oils and natural herbs.
Give the family a taste of the high life at the Four Seasons, modelled on an authentic Balinese village along three miles of sheltered sands. It’s as romantic as they come, yet children are welcomed with open arms, too, with free meals for under-five-year-olds, family surfing lessons, beach toys, bonfires with marshmallows and activities including basket-weaving, coconut bowling and crab hunting. While the kids are distracted, sneak off to the spa, a lavish temple of wellness with Bali’s first surround-sound spa suite.
Relax completely without worrying about that dreaded final bill at this all-inclusive beachfront resort on southern Bali, just 25 minutes from Ngurah Rai airport. Everything from the minibar to laundry is included, while kids will love the mini water park, playground, foam parties and boxing classes. There’s no chance of adults getting bored either: cultural lessons, catamaran sailing, watersports including jet-skis, Balinese dance shows and even a karaoke room are all included.
The Nandini Jungle Resort is the ultimate escape from it all. With just 16 suites and 18 traditional villas, the resort is modelled on a traditional Balinese village and built from natural materials, buried deep within the rainforest by the Ayung River. Every opulent suite has a spacious terrace overlooking the jungle, and all include airport transfers, a Balinese massage for two and a spectacular seven-course dinner using ingredients from the hotel’s own organic garden.
Families will love this themed safari resort, within the grounds of Bali Safari and Marine Park, for the chance to get up close and personal with the animals outside. All 45 rooms have their own balcony for spotting passing wildlife, while guests are also treated to a Balinese theatrical performance and breakfast at the Tsavo Lion Restaurant, where a pride of lions is just beyond the glass wall.
Be prepared to dine in style at this boutique beachfront hotel with 80 rooms in Tanjung Benoa. Extravagant dining options include an all-you-can-eat night market experience at the beach club and sumptuous themed buffets specialising in seafood, barbeque or Indonesian cuisine. Keen foodies can also join a Balinese cooking class or sample exquisite Balinese treats at a royal high tea, served in the tropical gardens or overlooking the ocean.
Make Instagram swoon with photos of this hotel’s extraordinary pool, often named the world’s best for its unique location floating above the rainforest below. No one would blame you if you never leave its edge but even the 44 jaw-dropping private villas have their very own infinity pools for the extra wow factor. Guests can also join a walk through the rice fields and river valley, try mountain biking through the jungle or book a Balinese massage overlooking the rapids of the Ayung River.
With four pools, a sand lagoon and a giant 30-metre (98ft) water slide, it’s no surprise this Hilton has been voted the best luxury family beach resort in Southern Asia. Built into a cliff overlooking the Sawangan Beach, there are also large family rooms available if the children are in tow, while a private beach and kid’s club will keep everyone entertained (and allow adults some well-deserved alone time).
In need of a luxury getaway to beat the Covid blues? Check out the best luxury hotels in Raja Ampat or the best resorts across Bali. If you’re worried about your budget, opt for the best all-inclusive hotels in Bali – they’re all bookable through Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.