Once-in-a-lifetime adventures await in Flores – so you may as well complement them with a stay at an unforgettable hotel.
One of the most remote and alluring islands in Indonesia’s archipelago, Flores is a thrillseeker’s paradise. Home to rugged, volcanic landscapes, pink-sand beaches and world-class diving, it’s also known as the gateway to Komodo National Park and the curious Komodo dragons. There’s no shortage of incredible places to stay either – read on for our pick of uber-luxurious resorts, boutique hotels and homely hostels.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The 19-room boutique Bayview Gardens Hotel is all about the island views, which come aplenty thanks to its picturesque hillside location near the popular fishing town of Labuan Bajo on the island’s western tip. All rooms come with a private terrace that backs onto a lush tropical garden – the perfect spot to have your complimentary breakfast while soaking in the views of the Flores Sea.
Want to thoroughly detox from technology and escape to a remote island for some serious R&R? Le Pirate Island sits one hour from the heart of Labuan Bajo, allowing you to spend the day or night as a pirate in a private beach hut overlooking the turquoise water. In true castaway style, facilities are basic, so don’t expect reliable wifi. However, with the plethora of activities on offer, including canoeing and volleyball, you’ll have all the entertainment you need without ever having to worry about bandwidth.
In a secluded cove, Plataran Komodo Resort and Spa is the sort of place that might feature on a poster proudly displayed in the local tourist office. It boasts nine styles of private villas, including the tree-hidden Deluxe Garden Villas – just steps away from the stunning Waecicu Beach – and the brand new, ultra-luxurious Hanging Pool Villas, which come with a private infinity pool. If you can pry yourself away from this Indonesian Shangri-La, world-class diving and an array of other water-based adventures await you.
If you’re after laid-back luxury, you’ll find it in spades at the eco-friendly Sudamala Resort on the small, unspoiled island of Seraya – a 45-minute boat ride from Labuan Bajo in Komodo. Think fine white sand, secluded bungalows with alang-alang thatched roofs and water hiding fish-teeming tropical reefs. After exploring the island by day, you can watch the sky transform into a magical pastel-hued canvas with a cocktail in hand, mixed at the resort’s private beach bar.
Seaesta Komodo Hostel and Hotel is a boutique accommodation without the price tag, making it a solid option for divers, backpackers and travellers looking for a prime location in Labuan Bajo. The highlight has to be the third-story rooftop restaurant and lagoon-style pool, with panoramic views of the Flores Sea and the Komodo National Park beyond.
A peaceful beach resort, Puri Sari Beach Hotel sits on a 350m (1,148ft) stretch of Pede Beach on the fringes of Labuan Bajo. The hotel was designed in harmony with the natural environment, blending modern amenities with traditional architectural elements. All 21 rooms come with breakfast included and a sea view you’ll never tire of waking up to.
Surrounded by gardens of vibrant hibiscus flowers, Angel Island Eco Resort is not only impressive for its scenery but also its philosophy. The private island resort aims to offer luxury accommodation that benefits the local community and keeps the environment, both on land and below the ocean surface, pristine and protected. The cosy, handcrafted cottages are completely nestled in nature but come equipped with modern conveniences such as private open-air bathrooms and pod-style espresso coffee machines for morning pick-me-ups.
A peaceful and authentic experience is virtually guaranteed at the French-Indonesian run Villa Domanik, on a mountaintop close to Labuan Bajo. Start your day with a dip in the infinity pool – the view of the Flores Sea and the mountains beyond is spectacular – before drying off on your bungalow terrace, built with locally sourced wood in the traditional Indonesian style.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.