Batam is the largest city in the Riau Islands in Indonesia, across the South China Sea from Singapore. In recent years, it has become a popular tourist destination, with world-class golf courses, duty-free shopping, watersports, spas and beach resorts. Here’s our guide to the top hotels in Batam, bookable with Culture Trip.
Near both the ferry terminal and the airport, Grands I Hotel is all about location. Rooms are grand with plush, comfortable beds, soft lighting and hints of gold. Im search of retail therapy? You’ll find several shopping centres nearby, as well as plenty of local restaurants and spas in the area if you fancy experiencing local life.
At the Aston, you can expect exceptional service as soon as you walk through the door. Rooms come complete with a rain shower – it’s all about pampering yourself here. Head up to the 10th floor and unwind in the sauna before taking a dip in the whirlpool. Meanwhile, the Basil Restaurant serves top-notch grub – try the braised snapper fillet in a hot-and-sour broth.
Set in the heart of the Central Business District in Batam, this hotel is perfect if you’re on the lookout for a swimming pool and sauna. Sleek wooden floors in all the rooms reflect the natural light that pours in through the floor-to-ceiling windows. Tuck into the popular breakfast buffet, serving everything from cereals and toast to tropical smoothies. One of the most exciting attractions nearby is the Budhi Bhakti Temple, a vast Buddhist complex with a sculpture garden.
The Crown Vista Hotel is easily one of the most creatively decorated hotels in Batam, with batik, Indonesia’s traditional fabric, throughout. Each room features unique design touches, including patterned headboards and intricate cushions. Enjoy traditional Balinese treatments at the spa – the beer bath is a must.
Arguably the most luxurious hotel in Batam, Montigo Resorts Nongsa is the beach getaway you’ve dreamt about. It has more than 100 ocean-view villas, ranging from one to five bedrooms, many of which come with a private pool. There’s an outdoor dining and lounge area and rooms come with a minibar. Choose from one of four restaurants that serve everything from light bites and bubbly to fresh seafood.
A slice of paradise in the South China Sea, Turi Beach Resort is a luxury escape on a quieter part of the Riau Islands. Rooms are airy and light, with floor-to-ceiling windows, natural bamboo furniture and bright fabrics. Outdoor activities include watersports, rides on all-terrain vehicles, live cookery demonstrations and archery. If you prefer to take it easy, visit the spa for a traditional Indonesian urut massage before a sunset stroll down the private jetty.
From the outside, Harmoni One resembles a Vegas hotel: set in a grand building, it offers palatial elegance throughout, from the giant horse sculptures in the lobby to the plush armchairs in the bedrooms. Some rooms have carved stone panelling in the bathroom, while the suites come with a kitchenette, private patio and outdoor hot tub.
Swiss-Belhotel Harbour Bay blends a hotel, mall and trade centre into one, so everything you need is right here. The 179 rooms have warm, neutral decor, soft carpets and blackout curtains for beating jet lag. The hotel is just a short walk to the ferry terminal, so you can set off on day trips to the other islands. When you return, rejuvenate with a facial at the spa, or enjoy a massage in the comfort of your room.
Eska Hotel, in the heart of Batam, is opposite the Kepri Mall, with the Eska Wellness Spa next door for a treatment after some retail therapy. Rooms range from deluxe doubles to family rooms, complete with bunk beds for kids. Relax in the rooftop garden, where you can enjoy live music from a local band.
Looking for more places to stay in Indonesia? Foodie’s will love our guide to the best hotels in Medan, the capital city of Indonesia’s North Sumatra province known for its culinary prowess. If idyllic beaches are your thing, the island of Belitung on the east coast of Sumatra is the place for you. Discover the best hotels Belitung has to offer and book your stay with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.