For a taste of true Indonesian culture in South Sumatra, book one of these hotels in Palembang.
Once the ancient capital of the Srivijaya kingdom, Palembang was a wealthy trade hub and renowned centre of Buddhism. Business calls many visitors to the city today, but it’s also known as the Venice of the East thanks to the Musi River, which flows through it. In South Sumatra, you’ll have the chance to embrace local Indonesian culture without the crowds of tourists. Here are the best places to stay in Palembang.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Renovated in 2019, the Alts Hotel offers modern rooms with a simple monochrome colour scheme and large windows that accentuate the brilliant city views. Fresh flowers add a homely touch. You’ll find gym facilities, a relaxing spa and a pool on the 10th floor. The on-site Café Delapan Restaurant offers tasty local food with Chinese influences.
Towering 18 storeys above the streets below, the Aryaduta Palembang offers an elegant stay in the city’s shopping district. The presidential suite here is particularly special, featuring a private jacuzzi, workout area and kitchenette. The hotel is just a short stroll away from the Palembang Icon Mall – try the delicious laksa (spicy noodle soup) at Uncle K.
The Arista Hotel Palembang is one of the best five-star hotels in the city. Rooms are contemporary Indonesian in style, with marble bathrooms, wood panelling and fresh orchids. For those catching an exceptionally early flight, fear not – breakfast is served around the clock at the 24-hour coffee shop. You can also have Italian dishes at Brava Parlour, cocktails at the Onyx Lounge and Chinese delicacies at Golden Abalone Restaurant.
Santika is one of the best hotel networks in Indonesia, known for its clean, modern rooms and excellent service. Its Palembang branch does not disappoint, with floor-to-ceiling windows and chic, minimalist decor. For food, check out the nearby, aptly named Pempek Radial, where you’ll find pempek (the traditional Palembang delicacy made from fish and tapioca, served with sweet-and-sour sauce).
Set in the business district of Palembang, Beston Hotel is close to government offices, city attractions and shopping centres. Opposite the hotel, you’ll find the largest traditional market in town. After a morning of retail therapy, unwind back in your spacious room with a view of either the pool, river or city skyline. Downstairs is a wine cellar with 3,000 bottles, ready to sample.
Looking for luxury on a budget? Book a room at the Zuri Palembang, right within the city centre. When it comes to design, the hotel features patterned tiles, art deco chairs and bright splashes of colour on the walls, while the individual rooms have vibrant modern decor, from geometric wallpaper to sunny yellow armchairs. Head to the rooftop infinity pool and lounge for sunset views across the city.
Families will appreciate the spacious suites at the 101 Palembang Rajawali. Set against a neutral white and grey colour scheme, you’ll find plush blue carpets and multicoloured tapestries above the bed. Start your day with a morning dip in the rooftop pool before breakfast at the Recipe Restaurant – the Avocado Java Joe smoothie will certainly start your day off right.
The rooms at Harper Palembang are designed to make you feel at home, complete with fresh flowers, cosy armchairs and mood lighting. The hotel has not one but three dining options, depending on whether you fancy local Indonesian specialities, Chinese cuisine or baked treats (the cheesecake at D’Harper Lounge & Garden is a crowd-pleaser). Before a swim in the pool, book a traditional Indonesian massage at the spa.
If you are looking for luxury, the Wyndham Opi Hotel Palembang certainly delivers, with suites decked out with chandeliers and walk-in rainfall showers. Families are especially welcome here. Adults will love the sauna and spa (whisper it quietly – there’s a bar in the lobby lounge, too), while the kids can splash in the children’s pool and play area. Everybody wins.
For more options in Indonesia, discover our guide to the best hotels in Tangerang and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.