In Bandung, a meal is never just a meal. From spaces featuring on-site art galleries to panoramic views of the area’s hills, the best restaurants in Bandung offer more than just food on the menu.
Bandung is a notorious weekend destination in West Java. True to its moniker, the Paris of Java, this town’s charm can be linked to its natural beauty, coupled with culinary delights at unique establishments. Whether you’re in for luscious, traditional Sundanese cuisine or some European classics, get ready to eat in a tent on a picturesque hill, wooden ship or inside a pool in Bandung’s best restaurants. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Lawangwangi Creative Space
Restaurant-cum-galleries are not hard to come by in Bandung. Many Bandung restaurants combine food and art, two of the things the city is known for. Lawangwangi takes a visitor’s experience even further by providing views of sweeping hills from the seating area and a gorgeous wooden deck, aka selfie central. Their delicious Indonesian and European fare will fuel your body and mind before you head to their art gallery, with its ever-changing works that entice you to keep coming back.
This restaurant, a vast compound nestled on a lush hill in Bandung, is full of exciting experiences. The restaurant mimics a traditional village, filled with rivers, ponds, gardens and charming traditional huts in the dining area. The authentic village atmosphere gets you in the mood to devour Indonesian fare, especially the famed Sundanese cuisine. From this spot’s music to its food presentation, each element creates a profound dining experience. The restaurant also has a stage for performances, souvenir outlet and kiosks selling traditional snacks and goods.
Dusun Bambu is a family leisure park, offering everything you’ll ever need in an ideal Bandung getaway without leaving the compound. Other than the glamping site and resort, the establishment is cherished for its restaurants. From cosy lakeside cabanas to gorgeous birds nest dining rooms, eating becomes a memorable experience when you’re at Dusun Bambu. Authentic Sundanese cuisine pairs well with the tranquil natural surroundings. Signature spicy dishes entice your senses and keep you warm in this calm, sleepy atmosphere.
The ever-growing culinary sphere in Bandung has given rise to concept-driven restaurants that bring dining to a whole new level. Pinisi Resto has entered the scene in the form of a massive wooden ship that’s docked by a lake and surrounded by lush greenery. The atmosphere alone dangles a carrot in front of local foodies and their unquenchable thirst for fresh dining experiences. The restaurant has a tranquil ambiance and is lovely enough for a weekend getaway but playful enough to enjoy on a family holiday.
Congo Gallery & Cafe
Congo is a restaurant, gallery and in their own words, ‘a jungle’. Inspired by Africa’s Congo and its jungles, this restaurant boasts flourishing trees and vegetation, located near the fancy wooden cabins and dining area. In line with its vision as a gallery, the interior is adorned with collector-grade creations. Congo is also famed for its variety of steak and Indonesian specials.
This restaurant’s birds nest-inspired exterior alone lures anyone who passes by, while others sit in Bandung’s notorious weekend traffic just to reach this eatery. The quirky facade gives way to a cosy interior that’s dominated by earthy decor. The restaurant offers various cuisines, from pasta to rice dishes. Hummingbird also has a guesthouse, in case you’re in need of a unique place to stay that is steps away from excellent food.
Dago’s hills have some of the most lively culinary districts in Bandung. The slopes have been colonised by stylish cafés and restaurants that incorporate glorious views into the ambiance. Cafe D’Pakar occupies a large compound at the top of the hills and graciously makes use of this space, with its towering trees and wooden interior. The outdoor seating area is waitlist-worthy, as foodies are eager to experience Indonesian delicacies in a panoramic, natural setting. Other than Bandung’s batagor and other local classics, this restaurant also has Western menu options.
One Eighty Coffee and Music
Just when we thought Bandung was one restaurant away from being oversaturated with jungle themes, One Eighty marched in. Still providing greenery and a vertical garden, this restaurant and café’s diversity can be attributed to its pool dining area. If you’re thinking that ‘pool’ means ‘poolside’, you’re mistaken. One Eighty lets you enjoy your delectable Western-style brunch in the shallow pool, with your toes dipping in the water and your mind impressed by the scenery.
Miss Bee Providore
When you arrive at this restaurant, you’ll find an iconic glass house and a vintage building next to it. The location’s charm precedes anything else this spot has to offer. The compound blends in well with the leafy surroundings and the area’s relaxed atmosphere. From European classics like pizza and pasta to Asian fare, this restaurant serves authentic and delicious food; the presentation and generous portion sizes are a plus as well. The complex includes a playground with fun rides, as well as some fluffy friends, ideal additions to a family getaway in Bandung.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.