Aged 84, Chandro Tomar, known fondly as ‘Revolver Dadi’ or ‘Shooter Dadi’ is the world’s oldest sharpshooter, with more than 30 national shooting championships under her belt. Mother of six and grandmother of 15, she learnt to shoot at the tender age of 65.
Based in a small village named Johri in the Bagpat district of the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, Chandro Tomar is a perfect example of why it’s never too late to develop an interest and follow it with zeal and zest.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Shooting came to Tomar out of the blue. Her granddaughter wanted to learn to sharpshoot, but was too shy to go alone. Granny Tomar used to go along with her to the local shooting club, the Johri Rifle Club. But little did granny know that her life was about to change!
One day at the club, Tomar just randomly picked up a pistol and fired a shot. Surprisingly, it was bang-on target! The coach club, Farooq Pathan was astonished by her shooting skills, and asked her to join the club. Tomar couldn’t let the opportunity pass her by. She joined the club and learnt shooting skills pretty quickly. Shooting became her passion. During the day, she used to do the household chores and work in the field. In evening, she would go to the range and fire some shots. Sometimes on her farm, she used to practice her aim by throwing stones at water bottles.
The club’s coach, Pathan told DNA in 2012,
“She was so good some of the men stopped turning up altogether to avoid being humiliated by her, an old woman. She has the ultimate skill, a steady hand and a sharp eye.”
Her determination and passion had made her one of the best (and oldest) sharpshooters in India. She told DNA India in 2012, “As soon as I shot my first pistol I was hooked. And now I’ve shown everyone, there’s no disadvantages to my age. If you’re focused you can do anything.” Today, she is most proud of the impact she has had on the lives of hundreds and thousands of women in the country.
In a male-dominated society like India, where in certain areas (including her village), women are discouraged from going outside, opportunities are limited and moreover, their voices are seldom heard. In this atmosphere, Chandro Tomar’s remarkable feat has brought a new lease of hope for women. In her village alone, over 25 women have come out of their homes to take up shooting as their profession, including her granddaughters. Chandro Tomar’s daughter, Seema was inspired by her to pick up a gun and she became the first Indian woman to win a medal at the Rifle and Pistol World Cup in 2010. Her one of the granddaughters, Neetu Solanki is an international trap shooter. Her sister-in-law, Prakashi Tomar (aged 80) is also a sharpshooter.
‘Shooter granny’ provide training to lots of young women in her community. She has even has set up a firing range in her home. Chandro Tomar told the BBC in 2011,
“When young girls say if Granny can do it, why can’t we? I say to them: work hard and keep your chin up and you will go places.”
Chandro Tomar has never let age get in the way of her passion. She is still very active and fires a volley of shots, all spot-on target. She isn’t stopping anytime soon!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.