Considered to be one of the most conservative countries in the world, believe it or not, India was extremely liberal and open about the concept of sex even before the 13th century. The statement is based on the sex sculptures carved on the walls of temples in India that were built in the 2nd Century. Sex was even taught as a formal subject as a part of education with pictorial representations of Kamasutra.
Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Book now and join one of our premium small-group tours to discover the world like never before.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Kama (sexual desire) was considered to be a part of the four human goals of life. The other three goals were: Dharma (moral life), Artha (material gains and means of life), and Moksha (the release from the cycle of life and rebirths).
Considered to be a holistic act, there were various sculptures of different positions, forms, and acts carved on the walls of various temples in India. We have collected a list of temples in India with erotic art and erotic sculptures on the walls.
Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh
Built by the Chandela dynasty, the Khajuraho group of temples was believed to symbolize the ultimate seductress. The series of sculptures on the walls of these temples represent threesomes and orgies among other graphic art. Considered a pure act and a source of bringing new life to the world, the sex represented on the walls of these temples present a very different and liberal past of India.
Sun Temple, Konark
With walls adorned with abundant titillating sculptures, The Sun temple of Konark is another holistic place with depictions of sexual acts that involve polygamy, lesbian relationships, polyandry, and more. Even as most of the sculptures have faced natural calamities over the period of time, some of the exquisite sculptures are still preserved. Also, the Konark Archaeological Museum nearby preserves the sculptures that have fallen down from the walls of the temple. Take a walk through the museum to witness these sculptures as well.
Virupaksha Temple, Karnataka
Located on the banks of the Tungabhadra River, the Virupaksha temple is a beautiful example of construction and form that boasts of these erotic structures in the outer walls. The sculptures here admire the state of nudity and polygamous relationships. The sculptures in these temples are not merely present to tease human beings, they represent the pure act of bringing a new life into the world. There is a theory that states that if a human being is not mature enough to understand the sanctity of Kama, he/she should not go through the chapters of Rasalila.
Sun Temple, Modhera, Gujarat
The Sun temple in Modhera looks like any another temple engraved with intricate work and a beautiful form. A close inspection, however, shows the details on the walls of this temple that showcases figurines indulging in intimate acts. Just like the Sun temple of Konark, the Modhera temple is built in a way that it catches the first rays of sun. The temple also has a Kama kunda, a water tank meant for ablutions.
Thirumayam, Tamil Nadu
The Lord Vishnu temple here presents the chapters of the Kamasutra on the outer walls. There is another theory that states that these erotic sculptures were placed on the outer walls of the temples to depict that humans had to leave their desires outside the temple before entering the holy place.
Tripurantaka Temple, Karnataka
This temple in Karnataka is a Shivamogga. Apart from a number of stories engraved on the walls and windows of the temple, the carvings on the outer walls also have a lot of sculptures from the Kamasutra.
Lingaraja Temple, Bhubaneshwar
The Lord Shiva temple is a popular worship place has around 6,000 visitors every day. Apart from other art and sculptures, it shows various images from the Kamasutra, the sacred sex text that originated in India.
There are various theories that surround the real reason of these sculptures in the temples. From tantric reasons to the explanation that the nymphs on the walls are apsaras, causing everyone to be so enthralled by their beauty that these seductresses were portrayed on the walls of the temples. If you take a tour of these temples in India, the guides would give you fascinating explanations for the presence of these sculptures. We suggest you take the walk and some notes!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.