There are few neighbourhoods in Chennai that boast of better access and connectivity than Royapettah. And thanks to this quality, Royapettah has become a preferred entertainment destination in the city with several malls, cafes, restaurants, and multiplexes opening up here in recent decades. Add to this Royapettah’s historic charm and heritage and what you get is a neighbourhood that is the perfect confluence of tradition and modernity. Here are some of the best things that you shouldn’t give a miss when visiting Royapettah.
Widely considered to be the best cafe in Chennai, the Amethyst Cafe on Peters Road, Royapettah is a favourite among not just the locals but also celebrities and famous personalities in the city. The cafe is popular for having both indoor and outdoor seating areas, with the outdoor area featuring a sprawling garden with plants and trees surrounding the tables. The cafe is frequently used as a venue for several high profile cultural events in the city such as book launches.
The Amir Mahal is one of the best-known heritage structures in not just Royapettah, but all of Chennai. It has the unique distinction of being the first building in not just Chennai but all of India to be constructed in the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture and paved the way for an architectural movement. The sprawling palace complex was the official residence of the Nawab of Arcot and was first constructed by the British East India Company in the year 1798, making it one of the oldest colonial buildings in the city.
Indira Garden, Royapettah, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600014, India
Pubs and bar-hopping
Being located in the centre of the city, the one aspect where Royapettah really shines is in nightlife and availability of drinking options. The neighbourhood is home to some of the most popular bars and pubs in the city such as Elixir – The Lounge Bar and Bamboo Bar at the Savera Hotel. And since Royapettah is located between the two popular neighbourhoods of Nungambakkam and Mylapore, folks in the locality also have access to options such as Hoppipola, Purple Room, and Studio-The Slate.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While the Amir Mahal is Royapettah’s most famous heritage landmark, it isn’t its only one. Thanks to the fact that the neighbourhood was a key centre of colonial Madras, it boasts some of the most important colonial and also post-independence architectural landmarks in the city. Located just off the Express Avenue Mall is the Royapettah Clock Tower, an 18 mt tall standalone structure that was constructed in the early 20th century, which is one of the most iconic structures in the neighbourhood. Other popular heritage landmarks include the old Woodlands Hotel on West Cott Road and the LIC Building, Chennai’s oldest skyscraper, located on Anna Salai.
Sathyam Cinemas and Blur
One of the oldest multiplexes in Chennai, Sathyam cinemas on TVK Road in Royapettah is more of a cultural icon than an entertainment destination. The stand-alone multiplex is also home to a cafe and a fully-fledged, multi-floor gaming parlour called Blur which frequently hosts some of the biggest e-sports tournaments in the city. Catching the first show of a Tamil movie on release day at Sathyam is an affair that is quintessential to the Tamil cinema experience.
This fairly new cafe on Peters Lane in Royapettah has quickly gone on to become one of the most popular cafes in Chennai. Opened in collaboration with Higginbothams, one of the oldest bookstore chains in Chennai, the cafe has three separate seating areas, including an outdoor one, and also has a fully-fledged bookstore within the cafe. Ever since it was opened, Writer’s Cafe has attracted the patronage of the city’s vibrant literary community and has become the go-to venue for cultural and literary events and book launches.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.