No matter where you travel, unplanned costs come up when you least expect them. From last-minute funfairs to great places you didn’t know about, unbudgeted but fabulous encounters with a new destination should not be compromised. But, there is another way to enjoy Delhi without losing control of your budget. Some unplanned detours come for free in the capital. Here is our list of the best free things you can do in Delhi.
A symbol of peace, this iconic temple in South Delhi is styled as an enormous lotus flower. A serene place to be, the temple is believed to have pin-drop silence and was built to find inner peace. Not constructed on the base of any religious belief, the place was built to bring people from all communities together. Manicured gardens, pools, and its grounds give you the freedom to explore the temple as well as meditate following any religious belief. A peaceful free thing to do in Delhi, a visit to the Bahai Temple is a serene experience.
Experience: Free meditation spot in Delhi.
Advice: Visit during the week to avoid the local crowd.
One of the most satisfying experiences in Delhi, this free meal served with love is a speciality not to be missed. The langar at Bangla Sahib Gurudwara starts at 9 a.m. and goes to about 3–4 p.m, and starts again at 7 p.m. until 10–11 p.m. It is believed the Gurudwara serves around 10–15,000 devotees and visitors every day. This free meal in Delhi is both delicious and heartwarming.
Experience: Free, heartwarming meal in Delhi.
Advice: Roam around the Gurudwara before or after you have had your meal.
The mausoleum of one of the Sufi saints, Khwaja Nizamuddin Auliya, this dargah is a beautiful experience that comes absolutely free in Delhi. An evening here brings a spiritual elation in the form of beautiful songs that will touch your soul. Even if you don’t understand the words at first, the hymn will take you to a different place.
Experience: Free soulful song session in Delhi.
Advice: The qawwali sessions are generally held on Thursday evenings.
A beautiful glimpse of the dargah and the qawwali can be seen in a portion of Bollywood movie Rockstar. The sight of the soulful place and music are a warm experience in Delhi.
An ideal destination for a relaxing stroll right in the heart of New Delhi, the Lodhi Gardens are a lush venue for a much required break from the hustle and bustle of the busy city. A favourite with locals, especially the lovebirds of the city, the gardens have a pond, tomb, cycling tracks, and various small monuments scattered around to explore absolutely free.
Experience: Free monument sights in Delhi.
Advice: Take a break from your plans and explore the gardens when the weather is pleasant.
The capital’s answer to the Arc de Triomphe, this monument in Delhi is a tribute to the soldiers who lost their lives fighting for the country. The centre point of surrounding gardens, official government homes and buildings, India Gate is both easy to reach and explore in Delhi. A close look at the monument reveals names of all the soldiers who have lost their lives in various battles for the country. The ignited fire lamp (Amar Jawan Jyoti) at the monument is always lit as a sign of respect to these warriors.
Experience: Free long drive experience in Delhi.
Advice: The monument looks stunning at night and one can even take a short drive to a restricted point of the beautifully-lit Rashtrapati Bhawan (President’s House) from India Gate.
Visit the art galleries & museums in Delhi
Various museums along with India Habitat Centre and Vadehra Art Gallery are among the places that exhibit some of the finest works of Indian artists and history. You can spend hours in such galleries and museums in Delhi, getting lost in the world of beautiful art and a piece from the past.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Experience: Free art galleries in Delhi.
Advice: The place is a well known breakfast spot in Delhi for delicious American breakfast. Do try the All American Diner here.
See free movie screenings
India Habitat Centre, Instituto Cervantes, American Centre and Alliance Francaise in Delhi all screen special showings of classic movies, breathtaking documentaries, blockbuster movies, and Oscar nominated films from around the world. The experience is free and very entertaining.
Experience: Free movie experience in Delhi.
Advice: The centres open around 9 a.m. and close down around 6 p.m.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.