Far from the hustle and the bustle of the city, lies an open lake, a historical temple, a serene french colony and a picturesque waterfall. All these places are less than the 200 kilometers (124 miles) from the city of Chennai. Here’s where the folks from Chennai go to catch a quick break from the hubbub of daily life.
Pack your bags now because we’re headed towards the historic ancient sea-port, Mahabalipuram. Located at 60 kilometers (37 miles) from the south of the city, Mahabalipuram has some of the most scenic architectural marvels in Asia like the Shore Temple, Descent of the Ganges, Arjuna’s Penance and Pancha Rathas. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, this place also offers interesting activities in addition to history lessons. Try your hand with a surf board at Mumu Surf School, just a few minutes from the Shore Temple. On your way to Mahabalipuram you could also drop in at the Dakshinachitra Museum, a place that has plenty of interesting displays on Indian heritage and culture.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
At about 60 kilometers (37 miles) north of Chennai, on the Tamil Nadu–Andhra Pradesh border, lies a beautiful brackish lagoon. Known as the second largest brackish lagoon in the country, the place has a rich biodiverse environment. There’s also the Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary for avid bird watchers. On sultry summer afternoons, this spot is ideal to kick-back, relax and spend some time with nature.
A temple town, Kānchipuram is about 72 kilometres (45 miles) southwest from the city. Imposing Dravidian architecture is abundant in this town and makes it ideal for heritage enthusiasts. Also a spiritual hub, the town is renowned for its silk-sarees.
Also a temple town, Tiruvannamalai lies close to 200 kilometers (124 miles) southwest of the city, in the foothills of the Anamalai hills. The town also has a good number of Ashrams like Sri Ramanasramam and Skandasramam that are visited by many spiritual seekers. You could also take a short trek up the hills of Anamalai or spend some time visiting the many temples of the town.
A quiet, coastal hamlet and a former french colony, this Indo-French town is the perfect getaway from the chaos of the city. Speckled with pristine beaches, Pondy gives a whole new meaning to laid back. Visit some of the famous French cafes like Café des Arts and Artika Café Gallery or take a stroll down the Boulevard Town. You could also visit Auroville—an experimental township.
If you’re up for a short trek, then this is a place you’ll want to go. Nagalapuram Falls, located at about 80 kilometers (50 miles) north of the city, gives you a stunning and serene view and is also a great camping spot. Also famous for Sri Vedanarayana Swamy Temple, the small town is the perfect place for a day trip.
A 95 kilometers (59 miles) drive north of Chennai will take you to the most enchanting waterfalls close to the city. If you walk down a well-beaten trekking trail for 20 kilometers (12 miles) you will come to the Ubbalamadugu Falls. Also known as Tada falls, the location is perfect for camping and hiking.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.