India boasts untouched natural beauty and varied landscapes, making the perfect backdrop for building an accommodation among trees. Whether you’re looking for an adventurous getaway, a romantic rendezvous, or simply want to escape the mundanity of life and reconnect with nature, these tree houses in India offer all of this and much more. So, branch out on your next holiday at any of these tree houses—from rustic to luxurious.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Vanya Tree House, Thekkadi
Live off the land and stay among massive trees and plantations at the Vanya Tree House. Tucked away on the edge of the lush forest of the Periyar National Park, this treehouse has nature-themed rooms and facilities, thus offering an off-the-grid experience to nature and outdoor lovers, all accessed by a Jeep ride from Greenwood Resorts to MannanKudi (a traditional mud hut), followed by a half-mile (1km) trek through the forest canopy. As you arrive, you’ll be served with a welcome drink—traditional coconut water—along with a traditional snack. There is a bed, traditional reclining chair and small balcony inside the tree house, and traditional vegetarian food is served in a beautiful setting amid lantern light below the house. Guests can relax on the balcony offering a magical view, or go for a stroll through the forest. It is the best hideaway for those who want to feel at one with nature.
Eagle Eye Holidays Resort, Chikmagalur, Kadavanthi
Sleep 2,900 feet (884m) above sea level amid the lush greenery of the Western Ghats at the Eagle Eye Resort. This wooden abode features a bedroom, en-suite bathroom, a portico, and spectacular mountain views all the way up to Kudremukh peak. It is homely and comfortable, and will put you in the lap of nature that is a much-needed to boost your mental and physical health.
Nature Zone Resort, Munnar
Nestled amid wilderness, the Nature Zone Resort is a comfortable hideaway in the form of five skilfully-constructed tree houses built on real trees, for those guests seeking refuge from the bustle of city life. This resort offers top-notch amenities and mesmerizing vistas of the forest. Also, it has a multi-cuisine restaurant, an activity center, plantation tour, a kitchen garden, and soft trekking that can be done in the resort. Guests can relax on the balcony overlooking the Kannan Devan Hills or go for a walk through the forest.
The Machan, Atvan
Nestled in the Western Ghats at around 30–45 feet (9–14m) above the forest, The Machan is one of the most magical treehouses and eco-friendly retreats tucked away in the scenic Jambulne, one of the biological hotspots in the world. The Machan provides a relaxing hiding nest in the form of five individually-designed tree houses, complete with beautiful design and artwork, glorious glass walls and vaulted ceilings, modern amenities, and private wooden decks offering stunning views of the lush forest of the Western Ghats. The master bedrooms are skilfully built around growing trees and can be accessed through wooden walkways. Besides sleeping among the canopies of trees and shrubs, guests can indulge in stargazing, trekking, bird-watching, yoga, spa, and massage therapies. And, if you need a break from nature and want a slice of civilization, go for historical sightseeing, Koraigad Fort, Lohagad Fort, Karla and Bhaja Caves, just a couple miles from The Machan.
Tree House Cottages, Manali
Sitting atop a tree and offering impressive views of the Himalayan Mountains, Tree Cottage is a tiny yet beautiful and cosy wooden tree house that can accommodate two people, and features LCD TV, modern baths, wifi access and free breakfast. You’ll find yourself waking up to the sweet sound of birds and gentle breezes in one of four cottage units and a swiss tent, complete with fruit and flower garden surrounding it. The accommodations are suitable for a family of four or a couple, and come with two bedrooms, verandah, dining area, small kitchen, and restrooms. Depending on the season, you can go fishing, hiking, or river-rafting around the property.
Tree House Resort | Jaipur
Located 30 minutes’ drive from Jaipur, the Tree House Resort is settled on the kikar tree with tree trunks passing through the rooms of the nests. This treetop resort is perfect for guests who like to live among nature, yet still live in luxury. The space offers deluxe nests, luxury nests, and private suites, each named after bird species, and come complete with LCD TVs, air-conditioning, hot/cold showers, minibar, tea and coffee maker, in-room dining, and wifi connection. The nests also feature private gardens and large patios, perfect for watching the sunrise and sunset, and relaxing in nature.
Hornbill River Resort, State Highway 34
Suspended 40 feet (12m) above ground, the Hornbill Tree House sleeps two comfortably among the lush greenery of the untamed Dandeli jungles. This tree house runs guided tours to Star Gazing Point and Boat Ride Island, where you can relax and enjoy the natural Jacuzzi bath. If you fancy peaceful activities, there is a nature walk, birdwatching, and fishing, and if you fancy something more adventurous, there’s trekking into the dense forest, kayaking, or whitewater rafting.
Tree House Hideaway – Bandhavgarh National Park, Umaria-Badhavgarh Road
Nestled deep in the jungle surrounding the Bandhavgarh National Park and teeming with wildlife, the Tree House Hideaway offers five tree houses adorned with traditional Jungle living and contemporary designs, complete with a living area, minibar, modern bathrooms, air-conditioning, mosquito netting, and balconies with loungers. But that’s not all. There is a dining room with a fireplace, a watchtower, a terrace with BBQ, a sun deck, an outdoor pool, a library, and spa service. Besides a relaxing stay, it also offers wildlife tours in Bandhavgarh National Park, where you can get up close and personal with wild animals and birds. And, the best part of your stay here will be amazing views of the forest from your balcony and you may even spot a few exotic species.
Resort Tree House, Vythiri
Vythiri Tree Resort will put you in the lap of nature coupled with luxury. Resting atop live trees and sitting on a 150-acre property constructed around a stream, this resort houses five rustic yet beautifully-designed tree houses, including one child-friendly tree house, with an eco-friendly focus. Each is designed by the indigenous tribes using locally sourced materials. Guests can relax in their private Jacuzzi or take a refreshing dip in the swimming pool, enjoy authentic food at the multi-cuisine restaurant, go for a rejuvenating Ayurvedic treatment, or take a forest trek. If that’s not enough for you, there is a health club, games room, coffee shop, and TV salon. Also, this one even has a hanging bridge leading to its doorstep.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.