One of Bollywood’s biggest stars Salman Khan was on Thursday sentenced to five years in prison, after the actor was convicted of poaching rare Indian antelopes in Rajasthan back in 1998. Here’s everything you need to know about the case.
A twenty year saga comes to an end
In 1998, during the filming of the family drama Hum Saath Saath Hain, Salman Khan, 52, and his co-stars Saif Ali Khan, Tabu, Sonali Bendre and Neelam were accused of poaching Indian antelopes or blackbucks in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
According to the Wildlife Protection Act, the hunting of this rare species is prohibited in India. The case against Khan was initially filed by the local Bishnoi community, who revere the blackbuck.
After almost two decades, Khan has been sentenced to five years in prison after an Indian court convicted him in the case. He has also been asked to pay a fine of Rs 10,000 (£109) for the offence. The other four actors charged with the crime, however, have been acquitted.
As Khan’s bail request will only be heard tomorrow, he will be spending the night at the Jodhpur Central Jail. The place isn’t unfamiliar to the Bollywood star as he’s already spent a total of 18 days here during three different stints in 1998, 2006 and 2007.
This is the fourth time Khan has had to face trial in the poaching case. He was acquitted in the first three.
Not the first run in with the law
In 2002, Khan was accused in a hit and run case when his SUV ran over homeless people sleeping on a pavement in Mumbai. He was said to be driving under the influence of alcohol. One person died and three were injured in the incident.
Khan claimed it was his chauffeur who was driving the car and not him. He was acquitted of all charges in 2015 due to lack of evidence.
The actor was also charged with harassing his ex-girlfriend and former Miss World Aishwarya Rai after their break-up in 2002.
One of Bollywood’s biggest stars
Khan, fondly called Bhai (brother) by millions of fans, is one of India’s most beloved actors. He has starred in several blockbuster hits and many of his films feature in the highest grossing Bollywood films of all time. He is also one of the highest earning Indian celebrities and was even listed in the 100 highest paid celebrity entertainers in the world by Forbes in 2015.
Khan has also successfully hosted the reality series Big Boss since 2010. The TV show is based on the popular Big Brother series.
He is the eldest son of acclaimed screenplay writer Salim Khan, and has two brothers – both actors and film producers – and two sisters.
Although Khan has had some high-profile romances with leading Bollywood actresses, he has never been married.
How Twitter has reacted?
While some have welcomed the verdict, most of his fans and sections of the Bollywood fraternity have expressed regret at Khan’s conviction. The hashtag #WeLoveYouSalmanKhan has been trending on Twitter ever since the news broke.
Some people have also mentioned that his humanitarian works over the years through his charity Being Human Foundation should’ve been taken into consideration while passing the judgement.
Feeling very sad that Salman Khan has been sentenced to 5 years in prison for allegedly shooting a black buck. 5 years! The length of sentence seems excessive and must be appealed. @BeingSalmanKhan has all my sympathy and support. #WeLoveYouSalmanKhan
— KABIR BEDI (@iKabirBedi) April 5, 2018
I can’t help thinking @BeingSalmanKhan is being prosecuted because if his Stardom. Did he actually hunt and kill a #BlackBuck ? Im praying #SalmanKhan will be released soon. #BlackBuckVerdict
— Andy Kumar (@iAmVJAndy) April 5, 2018
For all those who are saying Salman Khan is very good human being & should be pardoned, please note than “good” human beings don’t shoot animals for pleasure.
— Dr. Latha (@DrlathaC) April 5, 2018
Salman Khan found guilty in the #BlackBuckPoachingCase.
Finally, some justice for that blackbuck’s great-great-grandchildren.
— Ramesh Srivats (@rameshsrivats) April 5, 2018
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.