Goa is the smallest state of India, yet it packs a wallop in terms of sightseeing, adventure, nightlife, food, accommodation and fun activities. But where should you go first – North Goa or South Goa? Both are unique and beautiful in their own way. Lively North Goa is all about nightlife and shopping, whereas South Goa has unblemished beaches, scenic drives and tranquillity. If you’re wondering where to stay in Goa, check out this rundown on what you’ll find where.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Places of interest
Goa is dotted with numerous places of interest that date back to the Portuguese era and are completely mesmerising.
If you want to shake hands with the past, North Goa is perfect, as it features Portuguese structures, like the Basilica of Bom Jesus, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is known for its baroque architecture and rich past that will enchant you completely. Other historical and architectural marvels in North Goa include Se Cathedral, Chapora Fort, and Fort Aguada.
If you want to explore the length and breadth of Goa’s wildlife and indulge in adventure activities amidst thick forests, South Goa is good for you. South Goa features several wildlife sanctuaries that are home to a plethora of flora and fauna. Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary, Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary and Dudhsagar Falls are a must-visit.
This smallest state of India is not short of picturesque beaches offering stunning views of the sunset that are a feast for the eyes, and ample adventure activities to satiate the adrenaline junkie.
If you want to engage in water sports, North Goa is perfect. North Goa is home to numerous beaches that exude a hippie vibe and are ideal for water activities, like parasailing, banana rides, paragliding, kayaking, scuba diving and more. Some of the popular ones are Vagator beach, Calangute beach, Anjuna beach and Baga beach.
If you want scenic beauty and tranquillity, South Goa is the place to be. South Goa is home to the best secluded, rustic and pristine beaches that offer serene environs, relaxation and natural beauty. A few popular ones are Palolem beach, Colva beach, Butterfly beach and Benaulim beach.
Another thing that comes to mind when talking about Goa is its lively nightlife! Right from the time when the sun goes down and the stars light up the sky, to the moment moon bids adieu, there is a plethora of things to do in both North and South Goa.
If you want to party all night long, North Goa is the place to go. Well-known for its full-moon parties and beach parties that continue until the wee hours of the morning, this region of Goa has numerous happening nightclubs, like The Bollywood Club- by Titos, Cafe Mambos, Curlies, etc. where you can dance the night away to popular DJs. Plus, there are an endless number of offbeat things to do at night-time in North Goa, like a bike night ride, cruise tour or trying your luck at casinos.
If you want silent parties, South Goa is a good choice. South Goa boasts ‘Silent Noise Parties’ that are held every Saturday on Palolem Beach.
A trip to Goa in incomplete without indulging in some retail therapy! The state is home to numerous flea markets that will satisfy shopaholics.
If you want to take the real slice of Goa to your home and at pocket-friendly prices, North Goa wins any day. It is brimming with colourful flea markets that sell everything from clothes and accessories to souvenirs, handicrafts, pottery and local produces at dirt cheap prices. The markets of North Goa are crowded and lively. Saturday Night Market in Arpora, Anjuna Market on Wednesday, Mapusa Market on Friday and Bicholim are the popular ones.
Food and drink
Goa has been influenced by a mélange of cultures, including Portuguese, Hindu and Muslim. This is reflected in its cuisine.
If you want to enjoy gourmet Goan food and drink with a spectacular view, North Goa is the place to go. North Goa is replete with amazing cafes and beach shacks offering a variety of gastronomic options. Savour the specialties of Goa at the following places: Calamari Bathe & Binge, Thalassa, Baba Au Rhum, Britto’s.
Goa has much picturesque beauty, and many relaxing and fun activities. Plus, this party capital of India provides overwhelming hospitality. It is home to numerous accommodation options suitable for all budgets. But where are the best places to stay in Goa?
If you want a budget holiday, North Goa has great options. North Goa is brimming with affordable hotels, resorts and beach shacks that offer beautiful views and are accentuated by excellent service, friendly staff and delicious food.
If you want lavish and tranquil holiday, South Goa is perfect for you. South Goa is characterized with opulent accommodation options that provide utter luxury and serenity amid the stunning backdrop of beautiful beaches and lush greenery.
If a lively atmosphere and regular large crowds are what draw you to Goa, head North. If you’re keen to get away from the crowd and find peace and quiet, try South Goa.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.