“Buy better, do better,” is the motto of children’s sustainable clothing line, art & eden. Fashion veteran Susan Correa, the hands-on CEO and founder of the label, is as invested in people and the planet as she is in profit. For this Bombay-born entrepreneur, ethical fashion is not a fad nor an afterthought. Correa is dedicated to “doing well by doing good.”
On April 22, the world celebrates Earth Day, and endeavors to fundamentally change human attitudes and behavior when it comes to the preservation of the planet. But for Correa, profit for a greater purpose is a mindset that governs all the operations of her children’s clothing line, art & eden.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As a college intern in Bombay, Correa began her career in fashion at a factory. Within six months, she had learned the entire operations process, and so began her journey in fashion merchandise management. “I grew up in a 250 square-foot apartment in Bombay,” says Correa. “My entire life, I dreamt of building a business in America, because America was the place where dreams become reality. I did it; that’s the power of a dream.”
Overseeing multi-million-dollar companies all over the fashion industry — from low to high-end fashion, spanning Europe, India, China, and the United States — Correa was a sharp product solution manager with savvy business sense. “My job was to spot a trend and get to market as quickly and cheaply as possible.” She adds that profit at any cost was the bottom line.
A post shared by art & eden (@artandeden) on Apr 14, 2018 at 9:05pm PDT
In 2014, Correa had an epiphany after visiting a school in rural India and launched a meal program to feed impoverished kids. “I kept searching for a deeper reason in life. I wanted to lead a purposeful life.” And although she felt she was accomplishing this personally, there was a disconnect when it came to her professional life. “The speed at which I operated in order to bring the latest fashions cheapest to market left me no time to truly care.”
“Sure I felt badly about the pollution, waste, low wages and poor worker treatment in the industry, but with profit as my soul purpose,” says Correa, “everything else seemed like a distraction. I focused solely on my goal of maximizing profits. But after thinking about my life and legacy, I didn’t want to go back to business as usual. Yes I was I was told that this was impossible. Yes I was told that I was crazy. Yes I was told that there was no place for an Indian woman in the business of American fashion.”
A post shared by art & eden (@artandeden) on Mar 24, 2018 at 2:06pm PDT
But it was too late. The seeds of art & eden had already been planted. Correa was determined to use business as a force for good. This meant changing the current business model and unlearning the process of unconscious operation. This meant slowing down and reevaluating success, with tips from the Vice Dean of Harvard, public health division and the CEO of sustainable business and fair trade industry leader, Ben & Jerry’s, along the way. To make actionable change, Correa changed “everything from how sourcing and dying our fabric to how we treat farmers.”
The sustainable clothing model runs on the principles of mindfulness and slow fashion. Knitting this approach with the savvy of turning a profit (because as Correa insists, you can’t make a difference if you’re not profitable), forged a new model in the fashion industry. The approach is a return to Eden, a return to childhood, where everything you put (or is put) on your body is pure. Today, art & eden, which launched in 2017, has partnerships with global impact programs around the globe.
But more than that, the business itself is driven by ethical decisions, where “every hire is a key hire,” and the planet and its people are just as valuable as profit.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.