We have rounded up a list of the most iconic bookstores from across India. With rich histories, unique collections and hard-earned patronage, these stores have built themselves up to be important cultural institutions in cities across the country.
Kitab Khana, Mumbai
Housed inside a 150-year-old heritage building in historic Fort, this humongous bookstore oozes old-world charm and coziness. With a large collection of books from across languages and genres, well-thought interiors that allow for plenty of quiet corners, Kitab Khana has carved a unique space for itself in Mumbai’s bookstore scene. The in-store café is a further delight, and the perfect place to get some reading done.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Rachna Bookhouse, Gangtok
While Rachna’s rich and quality-controlled collection almost immediately placed it among the region’s finest bookstores, this family-run establishment soon grew to mark itself as a hub of alternate culture as well. The book store regularly hosts independent musicians, writers and artists from across the country – particularly those from the Himalayan region.
Cambridge Book Depot, Mussoorie
This quaint, family-run bookstore on Mall Road happens to be picturesque Mussoorie’s most celebrated attraction. Patronized by several famous writers who’d set shop in the hill town over the past, Cambridge Book Depot is today most known for being a regular haunt of local resident Ruskin Bond. The author is said to visit the bookstore on a weekly basis, which consistently manages to invite large crowds of fans to this cozy store.
Atta Galatta, Bangalore
Among the most reader-friendly bookstores you will find in India, Atta Galatta features an in-store café and plenty of plush seating in addition to its rich collection of books. Letting users browse endlessly or even sit down with their books over coffee, this cozy bookstore in Bangalore’s vibrant Koramangala neighborhood is worth a visit, particularly for the hospitality.
Higginbothams Bookstore, Chennai
Founded in 1844, Higginbothams on Chennai’s Anna Salai Road is considered to be the country’s oldest surviving bookstore. The store has amassed a brilliant collection of books over its near two centuries of existence – including several first and rare editions, historic maps and long out-of-print books.
Literati Book Shop And Cafe, Goa
Housed in a charming and historic Indo-Portuguese villa, this second-hand bookstore will let you have among the most immersive reading experiences you can in the region. With a quaint garden that allows for outdoor seating as well, Literati lets patrons bask in the glorious Goan sun with coffee when in need of a break from browsing through rooms stacked with rare books.
Among the capital’s many historic bookstores, Bahrisons in the ever-bustling Khan Market is one that no bibliophile in the city should go without visiting. From a humble books and stationery store founded in 1953, Bahrisons has grown to be among the city’s most well-stocked literary havens. A further incentive to visit is their helpful staff who will go out of their way to get you your next read.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.