In an alarming report released by the National Crimes Records Bureau in 2017, it was revealed that the crime rate against women in India has risen in the last five years. Ensuring safety of women in the country has become more important than ever and the Indian government has taken several measures in this regard. In addition, technology, too, has got our backs, with several apps released for women to protect themselves. Here are some of the best safety apps for women in India.
My Safetipin app is an exceedingly useful map-based safety app that makes navigation safe and easy. It basically rates the safety of the location – red pin on the map indicates ‘unsafe’ area, green colour is for ‘safe’, and amber for ‘less safe’. In addition, it tells you about the public transport availability in the area, whether there is a police station, pharmacy or ATM nearby, how crowded the location is, as well sharing your real-time location via GPS tracking, with your loved-ones. It also allows users to pin unsafe locations and help others. This app is available in three languages- English, Hindi and Spanish.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Designed for the safety of the women and senior citizens, Smart24x7 is linked directly with several state’s police. It’s simple and easy to use. There is a PANIC button, which when pushed, instantly sends an alert to all the numbers you put on the emergency contact, as well as the police. The app also starts recording video and audio when you are in a panic situation and shares it with the police. The alerts are generated via GPRS. But in case GPRS stops functioning, location and alert message are sent via SMS. Another impressive feature, Smart24x7 offers call centre support that offers a range of emergency services, such as ambulance and fire service. It’s a keeper!
This is a free safety app that is designed by the Delhi Police, primarily for women in the capital. To use the app, users need to register in, then a registration key (OTP) will be received that must be entered to complete the app configuration. The key to its operation is the ability to send your exact location along with audio-video of the surroundings to the Delhi Police Control Room expeditiously, when an SOS alert is raised by you. It is available in two languages- Hindi and English.
This is definitely the most important app that every woman in India must have. When you need real help, Raksha sends an alert message along with your location to your contacts at the press of one button. Another added advantage is that even if the app is not working or switched off, you can still send an alert by pressing the volume key for 3 seconds.
bSafe is an all-encompassing safety app for women. It has many great features, such as bSafe alarm that sends your exact location and what is happening around you in video-audio to your guardian promptly; Follow Me that lets your family or friend virtually track you throughout via GPS tracking, until you reach your destination safely; Fake Call that allows you to program a fake call so that you can excuse yourself from an unpleasant situation; and Timer Alarm allows you to set an auto alarm that helps your guardian to keep a track of your whereabouts, and if you do not check in before the timer runs out, an emergency SOS message will be sent to your contacts.
Nirbhaya: Be Fearless
Another personal safety app is Nirbhaya that triggers an alert, along with your current location to your designated contacts, when in an emergency. Also, it has an ‘Unsafe Area Alert’ feature that instantly notifies the user when she is in an area that is potentially marked as unsafe.
The simplest and easiest app for women is Shake2Safety that just requires you to shake your smartphone or simply press the power button four times, which will send an emergency SOS message or place a call instantly to the registered numbers. The best part, it can work with no internet connection and locked screen on. Besides working as a safety app, it also allows you to report robbery, accident or any natural disaster. It is an all-in-one app and a must download!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.