Cocoa Hernando is an exciting new chocolate company inspired by the aromatic spices of diverse world cultures. We took some time to speak with Paul Tomlinson, the company’s founder, to learn a bit more about Cocoa Hernando’s inception, development and goals for the future.
What strikes me about Cocoa Hernando is the passion that seems to be invested in it. Can you talk a bit about how it was born?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Thank you – Cocoa Hernando has become my dream business, enabling me to involve so many of my passions, and I’m very glad that the enthusiasm shines through!
The business itself was inspired by an amazing train journey across Southern India several years ago, where I spent much of my time staring at the beguiling landscapes and having warm conversations with fellow passengers, when I was handed my first ever cup of steaming aromatic masala chai. This wonderful blend of spices blew my mind and soon made me wonder how these flavors would combine with my favorite food, chocolate. Subsequently, I loved the idea of connecting chocolate with the most exciting flavors and places from around the world.
As of now you have developed chocolate flavored according to four international locations: India, Morocco, The Himalayas and Mexico. What has been the inspiration for these four locations?
The chai was obviously a given, however I decided on the other combinations because they were original and interesting flavors and twists on some of my favorite additions to chocolate. I then researched the countries associated with these flavors.
Can you explain the process of developing the flavors once you had established their geographical focus?
Developing the flavors actually came first and I spent a great deal of time at home experimenting with a whole range of flavors, looking for combinations which truly excited me – it’s a very enjoyable task! As is finding a geographical focus, where I would research the countries of my flavors and discover more unusual landmarks which we thought could work wonderfully on the chocolate wrappers.
The packaging itself is a work of art. Who is responsible for its design? Can you talk a bit about the development of these illustrations?
Thank you so much. Design is another passion of mine and I especially love the stunning styles associated with travel from the first half of the 20th century, which we’ve tried to emulate on the packaging. All the graphic design, location sourcing and concepts are done by ourselves, but we then send meticulous briefs over to illustrator Rui Ricardo to work his magic for the front of the wrapper.
Has travel always been a part of your life?
I’ve always loved to travel, but it was probably a six month trip across the United States after leaving university which really started my obsession. I’d love to spend much more of my time traveling the world, however Cocoa Hernando feels like the next best thing.
What is your favorite destination and why?
It would have to be India, where all my romantic notions of the country came true. The wonderful people, landscapes, wildlife and food combined with the sensory overload of color, sounds and smells made for an incredible experience. I can’t wait to go back!
What has been the most challenging part of starting your business?
Like many people say, the hardest part has actually been the notion of starting the business itself. I neither had experience of creating a business properly before or working professionally with retail or food. I was entering the unknown on a huge level and it sometimes pushed me to my limits. Creating a business for the first time is not for the faint-hearted!
What has been the most enjoyable part?
I’ve absolutely loved every minute of the creative part of starting Cocoa Hernando – from flavor experimentation to researching and designing to going out and selling to people with my old suitcases. It’s been a wonderful journey so far!
Are there any new flavors on the horizon?
Indeed! I’m always on the lookout, but we’re currently working on the next collection which is coming together nicely and will hopefully be launched early next year – I can’t wait to reveal all. Although I can rule out Tree Tomatoes, which I just had for my breakfast.
What is your vision for the future of Cocoa Hernando?
I’d like Cocoa Hernando to become the most exciting chocolate brand around. I’m also hoping the business will lead to lots of wonderful products and adventures and maybe even a bit of travel too!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.