When travelling to the west coast of the Indian peninsula, Goa may grab all the plaudits as an ideal beach destination, but the scenic seaside town of Karwar is a worthy pretender to Goa’s title. Located at the confluence of the Arabian Sea and the Kali River in the southern Indian state of Karnataka, Karwar boasts unspoilt, peaceful beaches, an abundance of aquatic adventures, and nature in its purest form.
What to see and do
One of the main reasons to visit Karwar is its gorgeous, unblemished beaches where you can enjoy the pleasures of a serene stretch of sand and indulge in watersports to boot. With several beaches to choose from, the Karwar beach, also known as Rabindranath Tagore beach is arguably the most beautiful of the lot. With vast swathes of smooth white sands and limpid waters, it is a perfect destination for those who simply want to relax and soak up the sun and sea. A few meters to the land lies a INS Chapal Warship Museum and next to it, is a tiny aquarium with nearly 30 species of fishes – both are a must-visit. There are several food carts dotting the beach, so be sure to sample the fresh seafood.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Another picture-perfect jewel of Karwar is the Devbagh beach. Many visit this gem for its beauty alone – with dense forests on one side and the spectacular Arabian Sea on the other; plus pristine sands and beautiful shades of blue add to the charm. But the beach has more to offer, including adventure sports for all abilities, such as kayaking, snorkelling, dolphin spotting and fishing.
For a rush of sheer adrenaline, Alligadda beach is your spot. There are a plethora of watersports activities available at this beach that would cost you way less than you’d pay in Goa. You can engage in speedboating, kayaking, snorkelling, banana boat riding, jet ski, sea rating, parasailing and surfing. The best time for snorkelling is October to February. There are lots of local operators, you can sign up with them and have some aquatic fun.
For those seeking an intimate atmosphere with their family or group, Binaga beach, Majali beach and Tilmati beach are perfect options – these offer a quieter beach experience. Approximately 7.2 miles from Karwar lies the Tilmati beach that is characterised by black stretches of sand, calm waters and lush greenery. An utter sense of tranquillity is to be had here. To reach Tilmatti, you need to trek from Majali village. Those looking to get active may make their way to the Majali beach, which is located approximately 3.4 miles from Tilmatti beach. You can engage in activities, like pedalling, kayaking, speedboating, dolphin watching and rowing.
When in the area, make sure to visit the secluded Kurumgad Island, located about 4.6 miles from Karwar. The Kurumgad Island is only accessible via a boat ride from the Kali River, and is best for scuba diving, snorkelling and dolphin spotting. The serene stretch of sand is fringed with wild flowers and dense vegetation – a beautiful sight! There are no stay facilities available on Kurumgad Island, so make sure to head back before 5pm as no boats are available from the island to Karwar after that. There are day trips organised by the local operators and hotels in Karwar to this island, just sign up for them to take advantage of all the riches the island has to offer.
History lovers can also get their fix in this seaside town. Nestled on the top of a hill, the 18th-century Sadashivgad Fort is an unmissable spot. Sitting on the embankment of River Kali where it meets the Arabian Sea, the fort today lie in ruins, but continues to stun visitors with its breathtaking vistas of the sea and the surrounding hills from its summit. There is a Dargah within the premises that draws many tourists. Plus, along the way to the fort lies a 600-year-old Shantadurga temple, which is a must-visit.
Where to stay and eat
There are plenty of homestays, hotels and eco-resorts available in Karwar for all pocket-sizes. Some of the best ones include Majali Beach Village, Jungle Lodges Devbagh Beach Resort (an eco-friendly option), Sterling Karwar, and the Olive Garden Resort. These accommodation options are kitted out with the best amenities as well as organised trips in and around Karwar.
Karwar is a seafood lovers paradise, thanks to the fresh local catches from its pristine waters. Fish dishes are a delicacy here – from fish thalis to fish biryani, fish curry rice, fish masala and rava fish fry, you’ll get it all. Besides this, there are several options available for vegetarian foodies, as well. Some of the best restaurants where you can sample these delights include the Amrut Restaurant, Swetha Lunch Home, Udupi Cafe and Hotel Poornima.
How to get there
Karwar is easily accessible via road from Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore and Mangalore. The nearest airport is Goa International Airport (Goa), approximately 60 miles from Karwar, take a cab/taxi the rest of the way. The nearest railway station is Karwar Railway Station, which is connected by Konkan Railways to the other cities across India. So, if you prefer a train journey, hop on Konkan Railways to reach Karwar.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.