1. His First Name Is Not Raj
His real name is Ranbir. Yes, he and his grandson share the same name! In fact, Raj was the middle name of all three brothers: Ranbir, Shashi and Shammi.
2. His First Job In The Business Was As A Clapper Boy
He started his career as a clapper boy on the set of the movie Vishkanya, which was directed by Kidar Sharma. Raj Kapoor made sure he looked polished even as a clapper boy and often posed in front of the camera.
3. His Real Life Inspired Scenes In His Movies
The scene where Rishi Kapoor meets Dimple Kapadia for the first time in the movie Bobby was inspired by his life when he met Nargis, an actress.
4. He Was The Youngest Director During His Time
Raj Kapoor became the youngest director at the age of 24. He wanted to become a music director before that.
5. Raj Suffered From Breathing Problems
Raj Kapoor’s very close friend Hrishikesh Mukherjee used to have nightmares of Raj Kapoor dying due to ill health. His movie Anand was inspired by these bad dreams.
6. He Passed Way Before His Final Film Was Complete
Raj Kapoor’s last film, Henna, which remained incomplete due to his demise (1988), was later completed by Randhir Kapoor and became a huge commercial success.
7. Not All Of His Films Were Commercial Successes
His most ambitious film, Mera Naam Joker, did not achieve commercial success, leaving him heartbroken and financially unstable. Many years later, though, the film was termed as a misunderstood classic. The film was five hours long with two intervals!
8. He Was Rushed To The Hospital Before Receiving The Dadasaheb Phalke Award
The day he was supposed to receive the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in New Delhi, he had an acute chest pain and was taken to AIIMS Delhi. He was on life support for a month and then succumbed to multiple organ failures.