India has a host of fascinating comic characters, some inspired by ancient myths and legends. Unfortunately, this is one industry that hasn’t received the recognition it truly deserves. Here’s taking a look at some of the most popular Indian comic heroes of all time.
Indian comic books are infamous for their lack of female superheroes, which is why the popularity of characters like Devi is so important to the genre. During the second century, the gods created Devi to conquer the demon, Lord Bala. When the devil reemerges after centuries and threatens to destroy the universe, Devi is reborn as a young woman named Tara Mehta. The character is based upon Hindu goddess Durga.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Nagraj is a character inspired by the myth of icchadhari naag (shape-shifting snake). Instead of white blood cells, Nagraj was born with millions of tiny snakes in his bloodstream that he can use at will. He can even unleash a powerful venom that is believed to be the most poisonous of all snake species in the world. Raj Comics, the creator of Nagraj, is responsible for producing some of the most iconic Indian superheroes.
Dacoit Halkan Singh finds an orphan boy named Suraj in a dumpster and raises the boy by treating him like a dog. But this maltreatment becomes Suraj’s biggest power, as he gradually learns how to communicate with dogs and use them to his advantage. As an adult he becomes a vigilante named Doga, who doesn’t think twice about breaking rules in order to wipe out criminal activities.
Super Commando Dhruva
What separates Super Commando Dhruva from other comic heroes is that he neither has an alter ego nor any super powers. He relies solely on his intellect, intuition and physical prowess. Working with a crime-fighting organisation called Commando Force, Dhruva is called upon numerous times to save the fictional town of Rajnagar from shady villains.
Chakra- The Invincible
Chakra- The Invincible is a comic hero co-created by the legendary Stan Lee and Sharad Devarajan from Graphic India. With the help of his mentor Dr. Singh, Raju Rai, a young boy living in Mumbai, develops a suit that activates the mystical chakras of the body. The boy wonder Chakra then vows to help defend the city against super villains like Boss Yama and Kildune.
Chanda is a simple housewife who one day finds out that her husband has been killing her daughters inside her womb. Enraged at this injustice, Chanda transforms into Shakti with the help of goddess Kali and takes revenge on her husband. While Chanda becomes a social worker, her alter-ego Shakti becomes the saviour of all women, reaching out to them whenever they’re in distress.
In high school, Vinay is witness to the murder of his classmate by a police officer, and has to go into hiding. Vinay turns to his uncle, Professor K.K. Verma, for protection, and the latter gives him a suit that lends the wearer superhuman abilities. Once he dons the suit, Vinay becomes Wonderman Parmanu who can shoot atomic bombs, fly at unbelievable speed, teleport and reduce to any size he wants.
Chacha Chaudhary is a rare comic book protagonist in that he’s more of a wise old man than a young hunky hero. His years of experience are one of his greatest weapons, and his brain is said to function even faster than a computer. However, Chacha Chaudhary isn’t all brains and no brawn, as he used to be a professional boxer and still displays some agile moves when fighting the bad guys. He’s aided by Sabu, an alien from Jupiter, who serves as Chacha’s muscle man.
Gojo is a hero summoned by Hrishi Taptamukhi, a Hindu sage, after performing a yajna (ritual conducted before a sacred fire) in order to fight and defeat a mighty demon who’d been creating havoc on earth. Gojo’s body carries seven celestial creatures and he can call on any one of them during his battles against evil forces. One of these divine beings is called Teesri Aankh, whose power is similar to Lord Shiva’s destructive third eye.
Amar, a police officer, suffers a near fatal accident and is saved only when his brain is transferred to a machine by his scientist friend, Professor Anees. Amar thus becomes a cyborg named Inspector Steel. The character is quite similar to Robocop, and many people argue that Indian comic books can only increase their popularity by creating uniquely Indian superheroes instead of copying Western ones.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.