India is the birthplace of Ayurveda, a practice which has been in existence since 5000 BC. It is also a country where opening the kitchen cabinet to look for a quick fix to any skin or hair problem is a common practice. These rich traditions have given rise to many homegrown natural cosmetic brands, alongside those inspired by a more Western ethos. Here’s our list of sought after beauty brands from India that you need to know about.
Kama Ayurveda was founded in 2002 and has gone on to become one of the most recognisable Ayurvedic beauty brands in India. Each of their products have been inspired by time-tested Ayurvedic ingredients and contain 100% natural products. The many beauty awards that have been showered upon Kama Ayurveda are testament to their excellency. In 2016, Nimrah Anti Acne Face Pack was awarded best face mask by Elle India and their Brigandi Intensive Hair Treatment received the best hair oil at Vogue Beauty Awards 2017.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Probably the most famous Indian make-up brand of them all, Lakmé was started in 1952 and borrows its name from a French opera. Interestingly, it was the former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru who suggested that an indigenous cosmetics brand be set up as more and more Indian women were found to be spending money on expensive foreign beauty brands. Their Rose Face Powder, Weightless Matte Mousse Lip & Cheek Colour and Absolute Skin Natural Mousse are some of the much-loved Lakmé products.
Not only are the ingredients in Biotique products fully organic and preservative-free, even their packaging is eco-friendly and can be recycled. Biotique employs a process called cold extraction whereby all the active ingredients of the original plants are preserved in the products, so that when applied on the body, it can reap wholesome benefits. The Cucumber Pore Tightening Toner, Dandelion Ageless Lightening Serum and Mountain Ebony Vitalising Serum for Falling Hair are their hero products.
With a number of both international and homegrown brands pitted against each other, the beauty industry in India is a tough segment to crack. It is to Colorbar’s credit that even though they only entered the scene in 2005, when brands like L’Oreal, Revlon and Lakmé had already found a firm footing, they’ve gone on to become one of the most sought after make-up brands in the country. Colorbar’s lipstick range including Velvet Matte Lipsticks and Kiss Proof Lip Stain are much in demand.
Lotus Herbals is a well-known Indian brand producing over 250 skin care, hair care and make-up products. They are a natural cosmetics company which believes in integrating the ancient science of Ayurveda with modern innovations in beauty. When the brand first started out in 1993, they were exclusively exporting their products, but soon built a strong market in India as well. Lotus Herbals’ sunscreen products are hugely popular and their 3-in-1 Matte Look Daily Sunblock and Daily Multi–Function Sunblock are considered to be the best among them.
Founded by entrepreneur Shahnaz Husain in 1970, this is one of the oldest cosmetic brands in India. The success of Shahnaz Husain has a lot to do with the fact that they are constantly innovating themselves but without swaying from their Ayurvedic roots. Among their wide range of cosmetic products, they have both classic gems which have been with the brand since the very beginning, as well as newer favourites like Oxygen Skin Cream. Women in India have sworn by Shahnaz Hussain’s 7 Step Anti Ageing Treatment Facial Kit.
Forest Essentials is a luxury Ayurvedic cosmetics brand with a loyal user base. The brand initially began with just handmade natural soaps but as they started becoming popular, they quickly expanded to a diverse range of products. They use only the purest of ingredients like raw cane sugar and organically grown cold-pressed oils. Although most Forest Essential products have been well reviewed, their Advanced Soundarya Age Defying Facial Serum with 24K Gold, Sanjeevani Beauty Elixir and Hand Pounded Organic Fruit Scrub are the superstar products.
Elle 18 is an affordable cosmetics brand targeted towards a younger crowd. Their make-up range usually consists of bright colours and they also employ attractive packaging. Elle 18’s stand-out products are the Colour Pop Lipstick range which are not only vibrant but also use nourishing ingredients like cocoa butter and jojoba oil for keeping the lips moisturised. Their Pops Nail Polish come in equally vivid shades and are packaged in handy bottles which are easy to carry around.
Himalaya Herbals is a pioneering natural cosmetics brand founded in 1930. They are one of the leading companies in India offering pharmaceutical-grade Ayurvedic products. Himalaya Herbals are a research-based company, who use a multitude of herbs, plants and fruits in all of their products. Well-known Ayurvedic ingredients like turmeric, neem, chickpeas and basil all find their way into the various Himalaya Herbals products. Their Purifying Neem Pack and Gentle Exfoliating Walnut Scrub have remained customer favourites for a long time now.
Gulnare Skincare is one of the newest cosmetics brand in India. All their products are chemical-free and 100% natural. The founders have named the brand after their maternal grandmother because most of the products have been inspired from the latter’s beauty rituals. Their magic concoctions are a result of many experimentations at home with natural ingredients. Even though they’ve only just started out, Gulnare Skincare products, like the Coffee Caramel Body Scrub, have been steadily garnering a band of trusted customers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.