Easter in Hong Kong is a public holiday. The four day weekend runs from Good Friday to Easter Monday. From church services to Easter egg hunts, here’s our pick of the best festivities in town.
Hong Kong benefits from celebrating both Chinese and Western holidays, with Easter being no exception. While for most it’s just an extra long weekend, others celebrate the period for its religious significance. In addition, Western customs like Easter egg hunts, chocolate eggs, brunches and other festivities are all part of the city’s celebrations.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Easter church services
It’s estimated that 800,000 Hong Kong Christians will attend church over the Easter period for a special mass or service. If you’re in town and would like to join, here are some recommendations.
St. Andrew’s Church in Kowloon holds annual Easter services from Maundy Thursday to Easter Sunday. This 1906 Victorian Gothic-style building is the oldest English-speaking Anglican church in Kowloon.
138 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong +852 2367-1478
St John’s Cathedral is the oldest Anglican church in the Far East. They hold special Easter services in English throughout Holy Week.
4-8 Garden Road, Central, Hong Kong Island Phone +852 2523-4157
Easter egg hunts
Discovery Bay’s Easter Egg Hunt on the Beach
Kids aged 3 to 10 can take part in this mammoth hunt for 30,000 eggs and prizes hidden on the beach.
When: Friday and Saturday, March 30 – 31, 2018 – 10:30 am to 6:30 pm
Where: Tai Pak Beach, Discovery Bay, take the Ferry from Central Pier 3, takes 20-25 minutes
More info and tickets: www.visitdiscoverybay.com
Easter lunch buffet and egg hunt at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club
A special Easter buffet lunch is available for all the family. Plus, kids can enjoy an Easter egg hunt and a range of festive entertainment.
When: Sunday, April 1, 2018 12:00 noon to 2:30 pm
Where: Compass Room at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club, Kellett Island, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
More info and reservations: www.rhkyc.org
Special edition chocolate Easter eggs are available at Spanish restaurant 22 Ships. Served in egg shells, they are made with a unique mix of hot and cold chocolate, salted caramel and fennel seeds – an egg-cellent way to satisfy your chocolate craving.
22 Ship Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong +852 2555 0722
At InterContinetal Hong Kong’s Harbourside restaurant, Easter Sunday brunch and dinner will be available with special festive dishes added to the buffet selection. In addition, executive pastry chef Cyril Dupuis will serve a selection of Easter desserts including Easter chocolate eggs. On Easter Sunday, children can enjoy a chocolate egg painting and decorating workshop with Cyril and a candy corner with a take-away gift. The Easter Bunny will also be on hand for photos and selfies.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.