Though not as popular as soccer or basketball, dodgeball participation is on the rise in Hong Kong, especially at the youth level. Members of the Dodgeball Association of Hong Kong, China talk about the sport’s appeal.
Hong Kong, a former British colony, has been heavily influenced by Western culture. This is especially evident in its sporting scene; horse racing boasts the most spectators, while soccer, basketball, badminton, swimming, table tennis and cycling have the most participants.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Western influence has continued to grow with the introduction of dodgeball, a popular sport among American school children. The Dodgeball Association of Hong Kong, China was created in 2006 to help increase the sport’s popularity not only among youth, but adults as well. There’s even a dodgeball bootcamp for beginner and intermediate players led by players and coaches from the Hong Kong Dodgeball League.
“Dodgeball is popular but not as popular as football or basketball,” says Jimmy Fong, 25, captain of the Hong Kong men’s dodgeball team. “In many secondary and primary schools in Hong Kong, kids are playing dodgeball, but it isn’t on an official team: it’s to teach kids how to play it and create awareness.”
The Dodgeball Association of Hong Kong, China has seen growth in participation of their local tournaments in recent years. In 2014, 143 teams competed over six days, while this year will feature more than 300 teams playing over 15 days.
“It’s actually more popular within the school age; it isn’t as popular among older people,” echoes women’s team member Christy Cheung, 26. “I hope more people get involved.”
Hong Kong’s national teams have generated more buzz for the sport domestically thanks to their international performances, including at the 2017 Asia Pacific Championships in Malaysia. The men’s team reached the quarterfinals, while the women’s and mixed teams earned bronze medals.
Hong Kong carried that momentum into the 2018 Dodgeball World Cup with the men’s team winning the Invitational Tournament and the women’s team finishing fourth in the World Cup at the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
“It brings a lot of awareness,” says Kei Laam, 19. “We played really hard in the Asia Pacific Championships to earn the right to come to the World Cup this year. The local media has reported on our results and it makes us proud. Now more people want to learn about us and want to play dodgeball.”
Dodgeball in Asia is played differently than the rest of the world. The game is played with one ball as opposed to the more commonly known multi-ball version. In single-ball dodgeball, there is a group of players (inside) flanked by groups of players on each side (outside) with those on the inside needing to avoid getting hit from either end as one ball is tossed back and forth.
Despite this difference, the Hong Kong team is able to utilize skills and tactics, including teamwork and agility, from single-ball dodgeball to find success playing multi-ball.
“I like multi-ball dodgeball because we can play against other [non-Asian] countries,” Fong says. “It gives us an opportunity to learn from other countries and players. Some other countries’ players are stronger, while we’re smaller, but we can use our defense and agility to dodge and overcome that.”
The Hong Kong team experience in New York City was a positive one, which hopefully translates to more buzz and excitement around the sport back home.
“Coming to New York City greatly increases the attention from other people in Hong Kong,” says Edmund Chan, 21. “It greatly increases awareness worldwide, especially in Hong Kong. My dream is everyone in Hong Kong knowing what dodgeball is. This definitely helps.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.