Sandwiched between Central and Sai Ying Pun, Sheung Wan is a Hong Kong district that effortlessly blends the old with the new. You could spend a day visiting Man Mo Temple and the antique shops along Cat Street, before dining at one of Gough Street’s trendy cafés. Here’s a variety of hotels in Sheung Wan to suit every type of traveller, bookable with Culture Trip.
AKVO Hotel aims to be the perfect balance between comfort and luxury, which is noticeable in its 29 large guest rooms and suites. All rooms feature sweeping city views and granite bathrooms with either Hermès or Salvatore Ferragamo toiletries. Other luxurious touches at AKVO Hotel include complimentary in-room fitness by request, free wifi, and an impressive fine-art display.
It may have a long-winded title, but this ibis hotel is in a perfect location for exploring both Central and Sheung Wan. It’s walking distance to SoHo’s food and drink scene and the HK Macau Ferry Terminal. The 550 rooms include family, connecting and standard rooms, with either city or harbour views. There are also three specially designed MyRooms with old Hong Kong, Chinese wedding, and under-the-sea themes. This ibis hotel also has an on-site bar and restaurant.
Holiday Inn Express is located in an envious position: guests can easily walk to SoHo, Lan Kwai Fong and Hollywood Road (known as Antiques Street). Each room includes a pillow menu, a work desk, and blackout shades. Guests receive a daily complimentary buffet breakfast as well. Located on the hotel’s second floor, Moon Thai is a Michelin-recommended restaurant that cooks up fried crab with curry paste. This is also the world’s first hotel to achieve four platinum (or equivalent) Green awards.
The Jervois is a National Properties’ boutique hotel in Sheung Wan. It features custom interiors and furnishings by Christian Liaigre, an internationally recognised French designer. The Jervois is home to 49 one and two-bedroom suites with separate dining areas, floor-to-ceiling windows and private lifts. The two-bedroom suites include Victoria Harbour views as well.
Butterfly on Waterfront says it’s perfectly positioned for its guests to explore the best of three worlds: the busy one (Central), the happening one (Hollywood Road), and the relaxing one (Sheung Wan). A reputable hotel chain in Hong Kong, Butterfly on Waterfront offers complimentary pocket wifi devices and smartphones with select rooms, and local ambassadors to help you plan your trip. Each of the 90 stylish rooms at this boutique hotel includes multimedia docking stations, branded amenities, and eye-catching artwork.
The iclub Sheung Wan Hotel describes itself as a no-frills trendy hotel that targets self-sufficient and tech-savvy travellers with its optimal functionality. There are a variety of rooms available, like the iResidence suites for families and iBusiness rooms for business travellers. Every room includes abundant natural light and a workspace with a multimedia connectivity panel. Take advantage of the iLounge as well, with its outdoor seating and Sweat Zone fitness area.
Established in 2008, Sohotel’s mission is to provide its guests with services and comparable accommodation at reasonable rates. A boutique hotel, its 37 rooms and suites include city views, a pillow menu and free in-room continental breakfast. Guests also receive a smartphone with unlimited data, so you’re always connected while exploring Hong Kong.
Citadines Mercer is a serviced apartment complex in Sheung Wan. There are both studio and one-bedroom apartments available. Studio premier apartments include a desk and kitchenette, while the one-bedroom executive suites also feature a separate living/dining area. Citadines Mercer is home to a fully equipped gym and the 24-hour Breeze Lounge too. Finally, don’t miss the opportunity to dine at the three-Michelin-star Sushi Shikon, which is the first authentic recreation of world-class edomae sushi outside Japan.
Every suite in this slender glass tower features floor to ceiling windows, looking out onto a skyscraper-filled horizon. Originally planned to be serviced apartments, the rooms are minimalist but spacious, a relative rarity in Hong Kong. The lobby is no-fuss, but there is a 24-hour gym at hand. Each room comes with complimentary smartphones offering free calls and mobile data, so international travellers won’t need to worry about getting lost in this dense urban city.
Rooms at this boutique hotel are filled with bespoke furniture and each guest gets a free cocktail kit as part of the hotel’s collaboration with local business Y Cocktail. Pets are more than welcome here – in fact dog-owners can enjoy an afternoon tea made for human and pet, dog swimming on the terrace with a mini swimming pool, welcome dog treats and more. Humans will also enjoy the gym and multi-purpose lounge space.
This boutique hotel aims to embrace the urban and old-school mishmash which Hong Kong does best, resulting in a fun, artsy locale. A trendy co-working space is open from 9am to 6pm and the gym is small but open 24/7. The two-storey on-site eatery, Te Quiero Mucho, serves up authentic Mexican food – try the much-lauded guacamole paired with an artisanal tequila from the bar.
Samantha McCabe contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fancy checking out the Chinese mainland too? Find out about the best hotels in Shenzhen, bookable with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.