Triad gangs are Chinese criminal organizations, comparable to the Western mafia. Triads have been the subject of Hong Kong films, fiction and cartoons since the 80s, and despite Hong Kong’s low crime rate, the glamorization of tough-as-nails triad men is part of the city’s cultural identity. If you’ve ever wondered how the triads recruit new members in this day and age, here’s a primer on how and where they do it.
A brief history of Hong Kong’s triads
The original triad society was a secret organization known as the Hung Mun. It was founded in China in the 17th century with the aim of overthrowing the foreign Qing dynasty, which was ruled by Manchus, and restoring the ethnically Chinese Ming dynasty. In the 20th century, the Hung Mun split into multiple independent gangs. After the Communist Party came to power in 1949, many triad members escaped to Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau. From then on, Hong Kong became the capital of the triads.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
After World War II, it was estimated that of a population of 3 million, one in six people in Hong Kong were affiliated with a triad gang Nowadays, only around 100,000 people are triad members in a city of over 7 million. Although the triads are not as powerful as they once were, they still exist and the prospect of joining them can be attractive to certain segments of society, especially working class youths.
Who joins triads?
Many triad members become involved when they are still in their teens. Secondary schools in poorer districts in Kowloon and the New Territories serve as some of the triads’ most important recruiting grounds. Triad groups such as Sun Yee On and Leung Hing have been known by police to recruit in low-income districts such as Kwun Tong and Tuen Mun. Students who are already affiliated with triads are used to pressure their peers into joining. Sometimes, teens in these areas are forced to pay a fee to join a triad, even if they don’t want to.
As Hong Kong society becomes ever more stable and white-collar, the triads face an increasing shortage of manpower. In the postwar era, Hong Kong was flooded with refugees, and the city’s poorest residents had inadequate housing, education and social services. Nowadays, only a small fraction of society can be called working class, and it’s much harder to the triads to find disenfranchised youth who think crime is their best option.
Prime triad recruits – the underprivileged
Young people are the main targets of triad recruitment. Students in Form Two or Form Three (the second and third years of middle school) are considered prime targets. At that age, they are less likely to face harsh sanctions if caught. While some students are extorted and intimidated into joining, others join eagerly in order to avoid bullying, gain access to drugs and alcohol, or get into bars and clubs. Others see working for a triad as a way to make some quick cash.
Triad recruiters are also known to frequent Hong Kong’s large public housing estates, looking for school dropouts or youngsters dealing with dysfunctional family lives. More recently, asylum seekers, who tend to be marginalized in Hong Kong society, have also become targets of recruiters.
Triads in the 21st century
Just like any other segment of society, Hong Kong’s triads have adapted to the Internet age. Chat apps play an increasing role in recruitment and in keeping members in touch with each other. As a result, triad hierarchy is more decentralized that it was a few decades ago. Sporting tattoos and other distinguishing markers is also going out of fashion.
Revenue sources have also changed. Smuggling narcotics and running prostitution rings are no longer the triads’ primary activities. Instead, they’re making most of their money by smuggling high-demand seafood, including endangered fish, as well as selling counterfeit goods online. Some of the more traditional triad operations, such as smuggling cigarettes and running gambling dens, remain in place, but with diminished importance.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.