With a shortage of space in densely packed Hong Kong, the only option is to build upwards. This applies not only to housing and office skyscrapers, but also to green spaces, including the city’s growing number of rooftop farms.
In contrast to the concrete jungle below, a much greener world awaits on the rooftops of some of Hong Kong’s famous skyscrapers. According to Mathew Pryor, associate professor and head of the landscape architecture division at the University of Hong Kong, about 60 rooftop farms and around 1,500 farmers have emerged in the city during the past decade, and the numbers continue to grow each year.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Leading the charge for urban farming in the city is sustainable living group Rooftop Republic. The group’s mission is to integrate urban farming into Hong Kong’s lifestyle. For the past few years, the team has collaborated with architects, engineers, organic farmers, chefs and nutritionists to develop and transform urban spaces into farming solutions. As their website states, ‘At Rooftop Republic we are enthusiastic about the potential for urban farming to transform both urban spaces and mindsets in Hong Kong and to contribute to making our city more sustainable and liveable.’
One such farm is found 146 metres (480 feet) above street-level on the rooftop of the Bank of America Tower in Hong Kong’s main business district. Here, in the most unlikely of places, there are all manner of different vegetables growing, from broccoli to cherry tomatoes and salad leaves. After harvesting, the produce is donated to local food banks. So far, about 400 kilogrammes (882 pounds) of fresh produce has been donated from this farm.
A similar rooftop farm can be found at The Fringe Club, a heritage building in Central, which grows tomatoes, oregano, lemongrass, mint and kale. The farm is frequented by the chefs who use the ingredients in the dishes they create for the restaurant and bar below.
Hong Kong currently imports more than 90% of its food, but groups such as Rooftop Republic are encouraging the use of locally grown goods to ensure maximum freshness and quality and are looking to the sky to do so when they can’t grow at ground level. In total, Rooftop Republic currently manages around 36 urban farm projects, and more are added every month.
According to Pryor, there is huge potential for urban farming to continue to grow in Hong Kong. He estimates there are more than 600 hectares of farmable rooftop area in the city – considerably more than the 420 hectares available on the ground.
Aside from the satisfaction of growing your own veg and creating a healthy and more sustainable lifestyle, proponents of urban farming say it’s also about building community and happiness.
‘The key product of urban farming is really happiness’, Pryor told South China Morning Post. ‘Everybody I met in a rooftop farm, community farm, or weekend farm – they are blissfully happy … They grow a few tomatoes that you wouldn’t buy in the shops, and they are really, really happy, spending weeks posting images on Facebook of their two tomatoes.’
This happiness is set to spread. Pryor says there might be even more rooftop farms in the city that he doesn’t know of. What’s more, this rooftop model for urban farming looks set to grow beyond Hong Kong – Rooftop Republic are already considering projects in Greater China and other regional markets.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.