Tea is everywhere in Hong Kong, but finding quality tea is a little more tricky. Here are a few tips on where and how to buy the perfect brew for you.
Since the origins of tea have their roots in China, it’s no surprise that tea (pronounced cha in Chinese) is sold and consumed on just about every corner in Hong Kong. There are hundreds of tea shops and tea houses offering everything from the world’s most popular and widely consumed tea (Chinese black tea) to half price oolongs and exclusive puerh’s.
The choice of teas can be overwhelming. There are many types of tea, ages, grades ways of preparation, mixes, and infusions. But fear not, Hong Kong is a tea lover’s town and most shop owners will happily talk you through the options and help pick the perfect blend for you.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Where to buy
Here are a few of our favorite tea shops where the staff are friendly, knowledgeable, able to speak English, and happy to help you make an informed decision on what to buy.
MingCha is one of the leading brands of authentic Chinese tea in Hong Kong. Its founder, Vivian Mak, sources the teas herself from plantations in China to ensure the very best quality. The selection of tea is impressive and is mostly loose-leaf Chinese and floral teas. What’s more, they have their own tea house, where their friendly and knowledgeable tea masters will teach you the art of traditional Chinese tea ceremony.
Fook Ming Tong
Whether you’re a tea novice or tea expert, the staff at Fook Ming Tong are very knowledgeable and speak fluent Cantonese, English, and Japanese and will help you pick the perfect blend for you. The selection of tea ages and grades is vast, from gunpowder to Nanyan Ti Guan Yin Crown Grade—costing anything from HK$10 to HK$9,000 per 100g.
The Best Tea House
The selection of tea here is incredible. They have three shops dotted around the city but the main store in Kowloon resembles a cave of tea treasures. Founder Mr. Chan has been running the store for more than 20 years and is an expert in the art of brewing tea and tea storage. Their high grade aged or new puerh cake, oolong tea, white tea, and green tea are most popular with customers.
Ying Kee Tea House
One of Hong Kong’s longest established and most respected tea houses, Ying Kee has over a dozen shops in Hong Kong offering a wide selection of Chinese tea leaves including puerh tea, oolong tea, fragrant tea, green tea, white tea, old luk on tea, and black tea, as well as teaware and gift sets.
Ying Kee Tea House, 151 Queen’s Road, Central, Hong Kong, +852 2544 3811
It’s essential to try before you buy. Fortunately, there are several tea tasting houses in Hong Kong. Among the best is LockCha Tea House. Here you can choose from a selection of over 100 premium teas. They allow you to order up to five loose teas per person in a sitting—which allows you to really compare and contrast the various options. They also offer their own tea tasting program. Write down your favorite, or ask for it written down in Chinese, which you can keep for future reference.
How much you should pay
The price scale is as vast as there are varieties of tea. At a Hong Kong tea shop, on average, you will end up paying a minimum of HK$100 for an ounce or two. You may be able to find a package for as little as HKD$10, but don’t expect it to be a quality tea. At the other end of the scale, some premium aged puerh teas can cost in excess of HKD$100,000. Tea is big business in Hong Kong.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.