A new high-speed rail link between Hong Kong and mainland China will make it faster than ever to journey between the two, but the project has caused controversy among Hongkongers looking to protect the territory’s autonomy.
Hong Kong and mainland China just got a little closer. In September 2018, an Express Rail Link opened, providing a path from the former British colony to the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou in 40 minutes, less than half the time older trains take for the same journey. The trains will reach maximum speeds of 186 miles per hour (300 kilometers per hour) during the trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The project cost almost $11 billion – and was delivered several years late – but it’s a major attempt by the Chinese government to forge a powerful economic cluster of 11 cities in the south of the country. This new rail line will connect Hong Kong to the domestic high-speed network in China, making it much faster to reach cities like Shenzhen, the technology hub of the country, and the capital, Beijing.
China’s high-speed rail network has grown rapidly throughout the vast country since construction began back in 2008. Since then, 15,500 miles (25,000 kilometers) of track have been laid, and an estimated 4 million passengers commute on 4,000 bullet trains every day, according to numbers from China Railway.
The Chinese government is also building a bridge – set to become the world’s largest structure to cross a sea – that will connect Hong Kong to Zhuhai and Macau, the gambling epicenter of China. According to the Highways Department, the driving time between Zhuhai and the Hong Kong airport will be cut from four hours to 45 minutes.
This newest addition in Hong Kong comes with political baggage. The West Kowloon Station, built as part of the linkup to China, will include a joint checkpoint where Chinese officials will be able to enforce the law of the mainland on Hong Kong soil.
The United Kingdom handed Hong Kong back to China in 1997 in an agreement that left the territory with its own laws, protections for rights and freedoms and a stipulation that most laws of mainland China could not be applied to those living in Hong Kong. The territory’s semi-autonomy was guaranteed for 50 years.
The agreement surrounding the new rail link effectively means a strip of land in the middle of Hong Kong will be governed entirely under China’s laws. The Hong Kong Bar Association has opposed the move, and the new infrastructure has been described by more than one political commentator as a “Trojan train,” looking to subtly introduce mainland laws to the territory. Protests also took place outside the station during the opening ceremony in September.
“I think it’s unprecedented and violates the ‘one country, two systems’ principle,” Hong Kong politician Lam Cheuk-ting told CNN. “It will threaten the autonomy of Hong Kong.”
Despite disagreements over the legality of the checkpoints at the station, local residents have expressed happiness at the convenience of the service in local press. China’s extensive network of high-speed rail was always intended to include Hong Kong, as the government attempts to make a giant country just a little smaller.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.