Apartments in concrete pipes called ‘OPod homes’ are the latest proposal to try and tackle Hong Kong’s housing crisis, but will people really be happy to sleep in re-purposed drain pipes? We take a look inside.
Hong Kong has a space issue – it’s already known as the ‘vertical city’, where developers have built upwards to create more homes. This has resulted in more tower blocks and skyscrapers than anywhere else in the world. Living in shoebox apartments is commonplace in the city. Space comes at a premium; Hong Kong has held the title for the most expensive property market in the world for years.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With demand for living space on the increase, sky-high property prices show no signs of disappearing. So how does a city create more affordable housing? Hong Kong architect James Law believes that micro-homes made of concrete pipes could be the solution. He has created a prototype of what he calls an ‘OPod tube home’, which is low cost, can be stacked on top of another OPod, and slots neatly into gaps between city buildings.
These OPod tube homes are just 2.5 metres (8.2 ft) wide and offer, in total, 9.29 square-metres (100 sq.ft) of living space. Designed as a micro-living apartment for one to two persons, to say that living in one of these concrete water pipes is ‘cosy’ would be an understatement.
Law’s vision is that tube homes will create affordable living spaces or ‘starter homes’ for young people trying to stay in space-starved Hong Kong. ‘Residents could live happily in the tubes for one to two years. They would appeal to young people who can’t afford private housing’, he said in an article in Dezeen.
The interior of the pipe contains facilities for living, cooking and bathing. Items include a bench that converts into a bed, a mini-fridge, storage spaces and a wooden floor to make it easier to move around. The rear of the pipe is screened off to form a bathroom compartment with a shower and a toilet. Law foresees the cost of buying one of these pipe homes to be just $15,300 (£10,700).
Currently, the project is in its prototype stage; however, Law is presently talking with local government with the intention to start installing and renting out OPod homes.
Law told Dezeen magazine that he doesn’t see his proposal as a permanent solution to Hong Kong’s housing crisis, but he believes his design could provide temporary relief for residents looking for something affordable in the short-term.
Not everyone has been enthralled by the idea of living in a converted drain pipe. Critics have labelled the design a ‘hamster wheel, but for humans’ and ‘inhumane’, with one netizen claiming ‘proper housing and living space should be a human right and a thing worth fighting for’.
Others have branded the OPod homes to be no different than Hong Kong’s highly criticised ‘coffin cubicles’ or ‘cage homes’. A staggering 200,000 people in the city are already thought to be living in tiny, low income apartments nicknamed ‘cage homes’ that are just 4.6 square meters (50 sq. ft.) in size, no bigger than half the size of a standard parking space.
Could a converted drain pipe be the solution to Hong Kong’s housing crisis? One netizen remarked, ‘I’d be willing to bet the architect would not even think about living in it himself’. At least for now, we’ll have to wait and see whether or not the OPod will remain a pipe dream or become a reality.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.